Garage lights, 2 wire switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garage lights, 2 wire switch

In our double car garage, we have some 2'x2' LED lights that are controlled by a switch that only has 2 wires and a ground - house is about 12 years old. Can I use 2474DWH to replace this switch? I am looking to put a motion sensor and man door sensor that turns the lights on/off.

The 2474 requires incandescent bulbs. While there are some who has had success with dimmable LEDs when using the 2474, this is not a guarantee and performance may vary

Comment

Originally posted by lilyoyo1 View Post
      The 2474 requires incandescent bulbs. While there are some who has had success with dimmable LEDs when using the 2474, this is not a guarantee and performance may vary
      Thank you for that information. I do not want to dim the lights, simply turn them on/off based on occupancy. Would that work?

Comment

The 2474 two wire switch steals power through the incandescent lamp load. So On and Off with no desire to dim. Still need a incandescent type load.
        I have seen mixed reports of using a shunt module across the LED load to get the need power through for the switch working.

Comment

Two ways to do this.

Easiest: Install a Micro On/Off or Micro Dimmer module in the light fixture and hook the return from the existing switch to the trigger wire on the module. This will allow the switch to control the light, but also allow other Insteon components to control the light, such as the motion sensor you desire.

Harder: This method offers more flexibility by allowing additional function at the switch box. For example, allows you to install a 4 button switch to perform more functions from that location than just turning on the light..... Getting around cheap/lazy electricians is not difficult, but costs a bit more. When you have no neutral in the switch box, assuming it's the only switch controlling the lights, then what you need to do is open the light box in the ceiling, find the switch leg, reconnect the white wire of the switch leg to the neutral wire in the light box.
          Take your switch out of the circuit first to prevent accidental shorting.
          Now you have hot and neutral in your switch box, but no direct line to the light. You can now run an insteon switch, but you also still need a receiver in the light box, such as a micro on/off or micro dimmer module.

Comment

Working...
          X