Syncing a lamp module, a button on a 6-way switch, a scene and Alexa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Syncing a lamp module, a button on a 6-way switch, a scene and Alexa

A button on a 6-way switch and a lamp module are linked by a scene so I can turn on, off and dim the lamp module from the button. Alexa can turn on, off and dim the lamp module directly but not the button on the 6-way switch. So after Alexa turns on the lamp module, if I want to turn off the lamp module with the button on the 6-way switch, I have to press the button twice.
    To fix this I created a scene, renamed devices so that the name of the scene turned on/off the lamp module and the button on the 6-way switch. But I forgot you cannot dim a scene. Several scenes would have to be created at different dim levels and too many scenes with similar names confuse Alexa.

To get around this, I left the scene "Couch", the lamp module and a button on the 6-way switch. I renamed the lamp module "Dim Couch". Now when I say "Alexa, couch on "the lamp module and the button are both on. Now I can say "Alexa, dim couch 25%" and it works.

It is a two phrase command to Alexa. I can say, "Alexa, couch on and dim couch 25%". Now dimming is flexible, without several different scenes,
    and the button on the 6-way switch is on. Turning off the lamp module using the button on the 6-way switch, it's a single tap. Saying "Alexa, couch off" turns both the lamp module and button on the 6-way switch off.

NOTE: With the lamp off and saying "Alexa, dim couch 25%", the lamp module will be on at 25% but the button on the 6-way switch will still be off.

ALSO: I found that a two word name for the scene and lamp module will not work. For instance, the whole scenario was "Love Seat". Saying "Alexa, dim love seat" got the Alexa response "love seat does not support that command". The name of the lamp module was "Dim Love Seat" and the name of the scene was "Love Seat". I found this out because a second lamp module and button on a 6-way switch were named "Sofa". The Alexa commands for "Sofa" worked but not the commands for "Love Seat".

I hope this is helpful to someone as the syncing always bugged me. And if someone has a simpler way to go about this, please let me know.

Salty
Working...
X