Linking 2466SW in 4 way switch on two breakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linking 2466SW in 4 way switch on two breakers

In short: How can I link a 2466SW to a 2466DW light switch when they are on different subpanels/breakers? Or perhaps they are on different phases? Not sure of the right terms, sorry.

Background/details:
    ~4 years ago, an electrician had forgotten to connect a light switch from our old house to lights in an addition. To rectify this, he setup a 4-way circuit using 3 Insteon 2466SW light switches. I want to add a dimmer to this setup using a 2466DW. I have replaced the original 2466SW that carries the load with a 2466DW. I am able to successfully connect one 2466SW to the 2466DW. The second 2466SW (which is in the old part of the house) won't connect.

I suspect the issue is I have two electrical panels. The first two switches that can talk to each other are on the same breaker on the first panel. The third problematic switch is on a subpanel. Since it was working in the original install I suspect there is a setting that I can't find in documentation.

Lastly, when the electrician had set this up he spent a long time on this circuit. He later commented that he didn't realize everything needed to be "on the same phase."

A few facts so you know the status:
    1) This all worked before. I'm only trying to replace the original load switch with a dimmer.
    2) I didn't change any of the wiring. It's a swap out of the switch.
    3) I factory reset all switches (pull out the tab for 10 seconds, push through long beep,etc)
    4) I have successfully setup 3 switches today using the same steps, so it's unlikely I'm making a linking mistake.
    5) When I do the pairing steps on the other switches I get a simultaneous beep from the two switches. When I do it on the problematic one there is no simultaneous beep (implying to me that they are not finding each other).
    6) The problematic switch does not have a traveler to the other two, but does have the wiring for a normal light switch.

Appreciate any tips!
Working...
X