Modules Beeping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modules Beeping

Today the 23 modules in my home are beeping (one at a time), similar to when you add a new device to the Insteon Hub. Does this mean their software is being updated, or another reason? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Did this happen after a scene was triggered through the app or by a schedule? The Hub can "heal" bad links on its own which might have been what caused this. As far as I know there are no new updates for the app at this time.

Comment

Originally posted by SeanM View Post
      Did this happen after a scene was triggered through the app or by a schedule? The Hub can "heal" bad links on its own which might have been what caused this. As far as I know there are no new updates for the app at this time.
      Thanks for the reply. No, it started happening this morning with no scene activity. BTW I'm not asking about the app, I'm asking about the firmware that resides in the modules (if it can be updated remotely, I'm not sure). I checked the hub version and it has not changed. Last time the hub was updated was in August 2019, and I received an email notification for that.

Comment

Gotcha. That is how the updates are supposed to go with Insteon.

The FW on the devices are not field upgrade-able. Most of them need to be taken apart to be able to get to the little connector they have in the devices. Insteon made a mention of adding this to future product lines but we never know until they are released. Im sure deployment of any FW, no matter how small the file, presents some challenges.

Still curious what caused your devices to start beeping. Anyone have any other ideas??

Comment

Updating the modules firmware could also be a safety issue for the owner, you would need a programmer and the source file to do it.
          Most Insteon modules have AC voltages floating around in them and I have some early modules. Like the 2456S3 ApplianceLinc. The +5 volt supply is connected directly to the incoming AC Line wire and is on the programming connector.

Comment

Originally posted by BLH View Post
            Updating the modules firmware could also be a safety issue for the owner, you would need a programmer and the source file to do it.
            Most Insteon modules have AC voltages floating around in them and I have some early modules. Like the 2456S3 ApplianceLinc. The +5 volt supply is connected directly to the incoming AC Line wire and is on the programming connector.
            Thanks for the information. Sean confirmed that the modules are not designed to be upgraded. So it's the hub that appears to be beeping periodically. I restarted it, but it still beeps periodically. Other thoughts?

Comment

Thanks for the information on the SmartHops concerning the relinking of devices.

I have not installed a new hub (I bought the hub in August), and the last update was also in August as I mentioned. I have not made any changes to the house configuration -- it's been as is since August. I haven't plugged anything new into the same circuit as the hub (or really anwhere in the house for that matter), but I did remove an X10 line filter for a Samsung TV with a noisy power supply on another circuit that was necessary with my prior X10 implementation.

(I moved to Insteon because the X10 system became very unreliable as a result of the various noise sources in the house -- including those of my neighbors on the same electrical transformer. It seems everything you buy these days uses switching power supplies, and many of them have extremely poor noise filtering because they're so cheap. The Insteon system has been very reliable in this regard.)

The hub beeping seems less frequent, so maybe it's beginning to settle out again. If it doesn't stop, I'll reinstall the X10 line filter on the TV.

Comment

I think Tom is correct. The beeping usually was a combination of the hub and devices linking back and forth durning and after a specific firmware update that was pushed. That update appeared to be fixing or rewriting links between the hub and devices.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveL View Post
                  I think Tom is correct. The beeping usually was a combination of the hub and devices linking back and forth durning and after a specific firmware update that was pushed. That update appeared to be fixing or rewriting links between the hub and devices.
                  Steve, I generally agree except there has been no hub software update since August and the beeping just started recently, in the past few days.

Comment

I reinstalled the line filter on the TV. Initially the hub beeps continued, but now they have stopped, thankfully. Case closed, for now at least. Thanks for the help understanding the issue.

Comment

Indeed, nowadays, in order to make a good payment system you have to try very hard. After all, it is sometimes very difficult to do everything qualitatively and quickly. But in this case, I would advise you to turn to professionals from the company financial software development solutions . They know exactly and understand how to make a quality and fast. Moreover, they will be able to give you a complete guide, how and what works.
                      Last edited by simeoniver; 01-21-2023, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Simeoniver.
                        Are you looking for information on an Insteon 2867-222 Alert Module or Insteon 2868-222 Siren module?
                        After the previous owner dropping everything and the present owners taking over.
                        I have not seen any mention of either module.
                        I did notice the Siren Module was after the Alert Module was dropped.

Comment

Working...
                        X