Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm having MAJOR issues with a new install. PLEASE HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm having MAJOR issues with a new install. PLEASE HELP!

Issue 1: I have a keypad and on/off switch installed next to each other. On/off controls a ceiling fan and keypad controls four can lights in ceiling. About 50% of the time, the on/off switch will turn the can lights on/off. See video below. I have an ISY, but I have done a factory reset multiple times and the issue still continues, so it can't be ISY related. Not sure if this helps with troubleshooting, but the lights controlled by keypad also flash like crazy if turned on when I update the ISY, such as saving a scene. I called Insteon tech support and was told that my electrician must have connected both loads to the switch, but how can that be possible when it only happens 50% of the time and I have other lights flashing (as described below).

Video: https://vimeo.com/364618669

Issue 2: My kitchen lights flash when I turn bathroom lights on/off or dining room lights on/off. It's just a brief flash. I noticed it last night. It did not happen again this morning, but is doing it again tonight.

I'm at a loss as to what is going on. I do not have a local installer familiar with Insteon. I spent thousands to have every switch in my home Insteon. I've tried to get help on the Universal Devices forum. They have been helpful, but don't seem to have the answer. Below is the last response I received from them. /Please help!

Message from an experienced Universal Devices forum member:

There is nothing wrong with your switches. You are literally having every issue that could possibly happen happen. Not only that you are having stuff that doesn't happen happen, and new issues pop up after anything is done. It's either being made up or the worst install ever done. Individually 1 or 2 issues can be fixed and simply something that happened. The amount that you have, the way they are happening, just isn't possible unless a person tried to mess it up. (no offense). Either the install itself was done wrong or your house wiring is FUBAR

Issue 1:
    You can test the load wiring by disabling either device by pulling out the set button and testing behavior. I would test each one, one at a time. A load wont turn on when the Insteon device it is attached to is disabled. There is an outside chance that the wires in the box are so packed in that they may be creating cross talk but I doubt it.

Issue 2
    This may or may not be associated with issue 1. Simply, most smart lighting products on the market are power stealing devices, meaning that they are pulling in some electricity off the line to power up the internal electronics at all times. When you turn on a switch, or appliance, there will be a small drop in voltage as the power rushes in to fill the new demand but should eventually stabilize. It almost sounds like, in your case, that when you turn the switch On/Off, the voltage drop is big enough to affect other lighting or appliances.This may be why the UDI member stated your wiring could be the issue. It may be a bunch of loose connections throughout the house wiring infrastructure that are not facilitating the electrical supply properly.

Comment

Originally posted by SeanM View Post
      Issue 1:
      You can test the load wiring by disabling either device by pulling out the set button and testing behavior. I would test each one, one at a time. A load wont turn on when the Insteon device it is attached to is disabled. There is an outside chance that the wires in the box are so packed in that they may be creating cross talk but I doubt it.

Issue 2
      This may or may not be associated with issue 1. Simply, most smart lighting products on the market are power stealing devices, meaning that they are pulling in some electricity off the line to power up the internal electronics at all times. When you turn on a switch, or appliance, there will be a small drop in voltage as the power rushes in to fill the new demand but should eventually stabilize. It almost sounds like, in your case, that when you turn the switch On/Off, the voltage drop is big enough to affect other lighting or appliances.This may be why the UDI member stated your wiring could be the issue. It may be a bunch of loose connections throughout the house wiring infrastructure that are not facilitating the electrical supply properly.
      Thanks for the response. Regarding Issue 1, I'm not understanding what you mean. Pull out the set button on the keypad switch so that it loses power and then see if on/off switch still controls it? The behavior has changed a bit from the video. Now when the keypad lights are on, if I press the on/off switch it will turn keypad lights off and then they will turn back on a few seconds later without me even touching the keypad. Again, this happens about 50% of the time. I sent Insteon pictures of the wiring and they told me it is installed correctly. They have escalated the issue to higher level support.

Regarding issue 2, it seems like my issue is with keypads. I've noticed the kitchen keypad lights flash with multiple different switches at various locations throughout the house. This is a new home, so I find it hard to be believe that electrical wiring is an issue. The flash is more evident during night, but I don't have extra appliances or anything running at night when I notice it. During the day, it is a very minor flash that I wouldn't even notice if I wasn't looking for it. Thank you for help.

Comment

When I have random issues that are not normal behavior, I start from scratch. This means you have to delete any scenes tied to those switches. Then delete the devices from the app. Then you hard reset each switch, pulling out the set button, then pushing in and holding until the beep stops. This will mean you have only the switch controlling the local load connected to the red lead. If you try both again and see one controlling the other, suggest you have the wiring checked after this step.

Comment

Working...
        X