What type of dimmer is the 2477D?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What type of dimmer is the 2477D?

While https://www.insteon.com/wall-switches claims that the 2477D (and DH) are both capable of dimming LEDs, I'm curious to know if it's any kind of LED or just some. For instance, I'm looking at some LED lights on Amazon that state that they are only dimmable with triac dimmers, a.k.a. post-cut dimmers or trailing edge dimmers.

Just for reference: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C3KGQNN
    (You have to dig into the Q&A to get details about the dimming requirements.)

Those little guys are only 2.6 W each, but I'd be ganging a pile of them together, like 8 or so.
    Hub: Hub 2 (39:35:10) | Phones: Samsung Galaxy S7 (Android 8.0) | Insteon devices: 25+

That Amazon description is confusing.
    Triacs are in Forward Phase Control, Leading Edge dimmers.
    The 2477D is a Forward Phase Control Leading Edge style dimmer. As it has a triac for its dimmer control.

Most of us have to try brands and model LED bulbs and see how they act. As some may have limited dimming range or pop on and off when dimmed and brightened. Some may flicker at some dim levels.
    Last edited by BLH; 09-29-2019, 08:45 AM.

Comment

I wonder if the Amazon description meant “phase cut” not post cut

Comment

Steve, That maybe possible.
        Chinese vendor and English translation.
        Or they use different terms. The parent company of where I worked was German and some of their descriptions could be puzzling until studied closely
        Last edited by BLH; 09-29-2019, 08:54 AM.

Comment

From Insteon tech support told me, the 2477D is a forward phase or leading edge dimmer.
          It should be compatible with lights asking for Triac dimmers as those are forward phase too.

Note that compatible doesn't necessary mean that it dims well. Many bulbs advertise 10-100% dimming, a few would say 5%-100% and very rarely 1%-100%. Note that while 10% sounds dim, our visual perception is not linear, so 10% power would look like 30% brightness. It would take 1% power to make a light look 10% brightness. Incendensents can generally dim to 0%.

Comment

Thanks for all the responses. For anyone looking to buy these types of lights, I returned those as they were far too large for the little under cabinet puck-style light fixtures that previously had halogen lights in them. Additionally, they flickered like mad at anything under 100% power. I'm giving these a whirl next and I'll report back as to how they do:

https://www.amazon.com/Dimmable-320L.../dp/B0778J17QD
            Hub: Hub 2 (39:35:10) | Phones: Samsung Galaxy S7 (Android 8.0) | Insteon devices: 25+

Comment

These little guys work decently and actually fit into the fixture (although just barely). They put out a tiny amount of heat compared to the old halogens. They do not flicker above 50%, but they start to flicker a small amount as you go down and flicker more noticeably as they go below 40%. Their lower limit is somewhere between 10-20%.

Comment

Working...
              X