Bizarre Endless On/Off toggling with LampLink Dimmers on GFCI outlet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bizarre Endless On/Off toggling with LampLink Dimmers on GFCI outlet

So, I might be cheating a bit, but I sometimes use my LampLinc dimmers to control LED lights that are not dimmable. I set the minimum ramp rate of 0.1 second and a default brightness of 100% and treat the dimmer like it’s an on/off switch. Always worked in the past, but now I hit a snag. When I attempt this kind of arrangement on my standard wall outlets, everything is wonderful. But if I try it with my LampLinc dimmer plugged into a GFCI outlet, it freaks out and continuously log goes between off and on. (I can see the status of my LampLinc dimmer toggle between 0% and 100% in my Indigo app).

and, sorry if this is information overload ... the LampLinc dimmers work fine I’d my load is an incandescent bulb instead of an led light ! I’m considering buying an on/off module, but worried I’m going to have the same problem on the GFCI.

thoughts?

You shouldn't use a dimmer on a non dimmable load regardless of ramp rate used. Doing so well damage the dimmer, load, or both. With that said, the insteon signal can to trip gfci's so the possibility is there of it still happening.

It's your money but if you don't want to see it wasted on a device prematurely going bad, I'd get the on/off, control it right and try it.

Comment

Don't use a dimmer module on a load not designed to be dimmed.
      Even at 100% On the AC wave is distorted around the Zero Crossing and devices not designed for a dimmer can be damaged.
      I would also recommend a On/Off type module be used.

Comment

It always amazes me what these dimmers can do.

I agree with lilyoyo1 on this. While the devices can dim non-dimmable loads it wears down the triac over time ,shortening the life of the Insteon device. How fast varies from device to device depending on the situation.

The GFCI is looking for a return signature that matches the signature on the line voltage side going to the receptacle. The LEDs are low voltage and the dimmer has about a .45W to 1.5W bleed. Hooking this setup to a GFCI will either cause the GFCI to trip or have really odd behavior since the line and neutral side will be balanced differently. This charge/discharge behavior has been seen before.

I would recommend moving it to a non-GFCI outlet, or using a 2635-222 On/Off module in its place.

Comment

Working...
        X