Another Garage door (lighting link) question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Garage door (lighting link) question

Ok first post so I am sorry if this is already in the volumes of literature. I am not a programmer but I can follow instructions but I have a question I think is simple but cant figure out how to accomplish my goal.

I have the Insteon Assurance KIt which includes the hub. I have multiple items connected and are functioning. I also purchased a garage door and status kit (p/N 74551) and I am working off the windows program for the PC and Android on my Samsung Galaxy S8+.

My question is How do I hook up a light inside my home (in the living room) that can be ON when the garage door goes up (and stays on while door is up) and then will be OFF when the door is in the down position?

I do have a dimmer module if that can be used or do I have to buy something else Insteon LED bulb??

I did see the You Tube video from a member using a hinge which is cool but I am hoping to use what I have installed. I also dont know what bulb he used that tied the magnetic switch to the bulb to make that happen.

Thanks in advance

This didn't work well for me in the Hub app. I can make a scene with the IO Linc as a controller and the plugin module as a responder but in my testing I had to switch how the sensor reports status so it would show up in the app as red as closed and white as open. This would bug me.

IMHO I think the simplest solution is to do this manually.
    1. Turn on the plugin dimmer so the light is On and leave it
    2. Go to the garage and open it
    3. Press and hold the set button on the IO Linc down for three seconds, to put it into linking mode
    4. Press and hold the set button on the module down for 3 seconds to link it to the IO Link

Test that when you close the garage door the light turn off and when you open it again the light turns on.

You can have them both added to the Hub app for status and control just do not create a scene with them or you will have to start playing with the IO linc settings.

***note that the IO linc is powerline only, no RF, so if you cannot get the IO linc to link to the plugin module manually try moving the plugin module to a different outlet.

Comment

Thank you Sean, I will give that a try. Seems like it should be so simple. Take care.

Comment

That worked brilliantly!!!! Thanks so much. Perfect.

Comment

I am a little unsure about the settings for the relay. It is set at 2 seconds now and it works fine. What is that setting for? I am wondering that if it is increased that the linked light would stay on for longer when the door closes. Is that the case, say I put 2 minutes then would the relay close and the light go out after 2 minutes? Sorry for the noob questions... Thanks again

Comment

The amount of time the relay stays closed and simulate the openers control button being pushed. Set it to 2 minutes and it would be like someone held the openers button for 2 minutes.

Comment

Thank you sir. That is what I need to know so I will just leave it at 2 seconds. Regards

Comment

Working...
              X