Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Closing and opening a value installed in main water supply pipe when a leak is detected.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Closing and opening a value installed in main water supply pipe when a leak is detected.

I have all the components of the Insteon Leak Detector, Low Voltage Controller (I/O Link), and Water Valve Kit. I understand how to hook it up and set up the software. When the hub receives a message from a water sensor it instructs the I/O link to open, which in turn causes the motorized water pipe valve to draw current from an AC adapter to close the valve. I have three questions:

1. Does the motor close the valve when it receives an instantaneous message from the hub and the valve remains closed regardless of whether the hub continues to receive messages from a water sensor?

2. I see that once a leak has been dealt with, I can open the valve pressing a button on the valve unit. That's probably what I will do but I'm curious if I could reopen the water value with the Insteon app.

3. In addition to closing the water valve, I would like there to be an audio alarm when there is a leak. I have a 12v. buzzer. What do I need to wire that up and how would I turn off the alarm?
    Last edited by CaryInVictoria; 05-19-2019, 03:29 PM.

1. Correct. It will remain closed.
    2. Depends on the valve but it is not usually a button, but a knob you need to manually rotate to open the valve again. You could use the Insteon app to open it again if you want.
    3. You could get another #2450 and wire the 12V buzzer with a power supply to that or get the #2868-222 chime/sire module.

Comment

Thank you, Sean. Re #3, I have an extra I/O Link and AC adaptor, as well as the buzzer, so I have all the parts I need. Can I code it so that an instantaneous message to the I/O Link will cause the buzzer to sound for a pre-determined time (e.g, 3 minutes), unless I stop it with the Insteon app? If so, is the programming for that straightforward?

Comment

It's not difficult.

The IO Linc (#2450) that you are using for the siren should be put into momentary mode for whatever duration you want the siren to go off for. You can do this immediately after you add it to your Hub app or go into settings -> devices and do it after the fact. I also recommend naming the IO Lincs so you know which one does what.

Then you just add that IO Linc as a responder to the leak sensor/shutoff valve scene in the Hub.

Comment

Thank you, Sean. All my questions have been answered. I've never experienced better customer support than that provided by you and Steve.

Comment

Working...
          X