Confusion about boosting/forwarding powerline and wireless signals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confusion about boosting/forwarding powerline and wireless signals

My main application is to use Insteon devices to shut off the main water supply valve in my house if water is detected by any one of many wireless water sensors. I installed the hub and a powered shut-off valve in the main water supply pipe (where it enters my house), and am ready to install an I/O link to control the latter. I also purchased a Range Extender (2992-222). (Once the water sensors are operational I will install two motion sensors and Remote Control Plug-In that I also bought). I have a few basic questions, mainly about the range of the wireless signals from the water detectors.

1. Does the Range Extender receive wireless signals (e.g., from sensors)? If so, does it forward those over power lines and/or forward them wirelessly?
    2. Am I correct that the Range Extender boosts powerline signals? (I read about it dealing with split-phase issues.)
    3. Do any plug-in devices other than the hub and range extender (e.g., I/O link) boost powerline and/or forward wireless signals (in the same way the Range Extender does, for example)?
    4. Do wireless devices (e.g., water sensors) boost/forward wireless signals from other wireless devices?

Answers below

1. Does the Range Extender receive wireless signals (e.g., from sensors)? If so, does it forward those over power lines and/or forward them wirelessly?
    answer: yes range extenders or any other dual
    band device will repeat both RF and Powerline.

2. Am I correct that the Range Extender boosts powerline signals? (I read about it dealing with split-phase issues.)
    answer: yes, but all dual band devices do that. Nothing special about range extenders over let’s say a dual
    band lamp module

3. Do any plug-in devices other than the hub and range extender (e.g., I/O link) boost powerline and/or forward wireless signals (in the same way the Range Extender does, for example)?
    answer: yes like I mention earlier. Most all AC powered devices do that.

4. Do wireless devices (e.g., water sensors) boost/forward wireless signals from other wireless devices?
    answer: No, RF devices are transmitters only in most cases.

steve

Comment

Steve,

Thank you for the quick, clear and complete answer. Given what you said, why or when would one want to use a range extender rather than another dual-band AC device, given that they have equivalent range-extending functionality, but the latter offers some additional functionality as well (e.g., an on-off switch)? Is it just to save a few dollars when range needs to be extended at some location where there is no need for any additional functionality? I noticed, for example, that a Range Extender cost about $10 less than an on-off module.

Comment

The benefit of the range extenders are cost. I usually tell people to spend a few dollars more and get a device (dual band lamp module) that does something else as well like dim a lamp.

no added repeating capability from other dual band devices with the range extender.

Comment

Steve,

Thanks again. I think I'm now up-to-speed on that topic.

Comment

Working...
          X