Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3 dimmer switches for ceiling light install (help)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3 dimmer switches for ceiling light install (help)

I'm trying to install an Insteon 3 way switch, and I'm struggling because the instructions we have and online do not seem to match the wiring configuration I have.

In one box we have 3 sets of wires. One looks like it comes from the circuit breaker, one goes to the light, and one that goes to one of the 3 switches. In this box I was able to get the wires connected so the lights function.

In a second box there are two sets of wires. One coming from box 1 and one that goes to box 3.

In the third box there is one set of wires coming from box 2.

I'm not sure how to get box 2 &3 to turn the lights on and off. I can get power to the switches, but no signal to the lights.
    Attached Files

Here is the 3rd box
    Attached Files

Comment

Here is the trick with three ways or four ways. Look at the wires connected to your existing switches. Those switches have three screws on the three ways and four on the four ways.

the two brass colored screws on the three ways are your travelers. The wire connected to the bronze screw is either the hot or the load based on what switch you are standing at.

the original switch with the constant hot wire you start with. Hook the switch up but cap the red wire on the insteon switch. Cap the red wire on the four way also. Connect the red wire on the last three way to the load wire that was on the original switches bronze screw. Now use the travelers to carry the hot and neutral to all boxes. Hook the hot and neutral to the black and white wires on the three switches.

this video may help. Wire colors are different but the principle is still taught. https://youtu.be/DPqXn_1QumM

Comment

The problem in run into is the wire to the light and constant power is in 1 box. Box 2 and 3 are being fed by box 1

Comment

Oh I forgot to add box 1 did not have a switch they wire nuted the lines for the mechanical switches in box 2 and 3 to work.

Comment

Solved my issue. I needed to use the red load wire for all three switches. The videos led me astray due to everyone not using them. Here is how I wired my switches incase anyone else has this same issue

I had power in box 1 and the load in box 1 I needed to hook up my red wire from the switch to the load to the lights,
            Followed the same process with me second box and third box. Using the traveler as a constant and a traveler as a load. Which yes you need to use your red wire on the switch for it to work.

Comment

Working...
            X