On off switch and GFCI breaker tripping

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On off switch and GFCI breaker tripping

I searched and didn't find so if it's been addressed in the forum I apologize.

Dont know a lot about pools but my new inground pool has a big 12V LED spot evidently powered by a pretty massive ACDC converter in the exterioir pump electrical box. A basic paddle SPST switch was installed between the transformer and a class A gfci 15 amp breaker to mains

so today I replaced the paddle switch with an Insteon On/Off paddle switch with no success

there wasn't a neutral on the SPST switch that the pool company installed and knowing my insteon switch requires a neutral I ran a 12 awg wire from the left bus bar of the pool box.(all white wires coming from that bar. And the manufacturer label asserting yes white is neutral..and my multimeter backing that up as far as I know)

as soon as I close the breaker it trips.

Killed the ground wire to make sure it wasn't a
    ground short. Still trips.

Disconnect the load wire with just line, neutral and ground and no lights illuminate on my switch.

Ive installed a lot of insteon switches so I'm pretty damned sure I'm wired correct but GFCI + Insteon is new to me

any issues with GFCI breakers and insteon on off sw switches? Or maybe something else?
    Last edited by Holyhell; 09-05-2018, 08:47 PM.

This is probably in the neutral wiring. You cannot share neutrals on a GFCI otherwise it will trip at power up. You need to run the neutral from the breaker to the GFCI.

Comment

there wasn't a neutral on the SPST switch that the pool company installed and knowing my insteon switch requires a neutral I ran a 12 awg wire from the left bus bar of the pool box.(all white wires coming from that bar . You cannot share neutrals on a GFCI otherwise it will trip at power up . Hi after reading your blog I have finally found some knowledge which
      I was looking for so long for that reason Thanks .

Last edited by iosman; 02-26-2019, 08:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X