Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switchlink dimmer & LED Lamps

Hoping to save someone else a big headache:

I have used 2477Ds to control Lithuania Lighting WF series lights successful in the past but the latest batch in not compatible. Had to pull 7 installed lights out.

Replaced fixtures with AspectLED 4.75" Ultra-Thin LED Recessed Light - 6 Watt (45 Watt Equivalent) after successfully bench testing one. One connected, dims fine, 7 connected does not dim at all. Off - Full on - nothing in between.

Neither fixture manufacturer of Insteon was able to provide any help.

For a while the compatibility issues seemed to be improving but I've hit a few stumbling blocks lately. It would be great to get an updated list of compatible devices going. Working for free is getting old & having to bench test every light on every install is just not practical.

I just ran into a similar albeit slightly different problem with FEIT 17.5 W (100 W replacement) dimmable "enhance" LED light bulbs purchased from Costco. If controlled directly through a 2457D2 LampLinc Dimmer, the LampLinc Dimmer will switch back on by itself (or, presumably, due to some feedback from the LED bulb) within a couple seconds of switching it off.

This is a consistent problem, not intermittent.

It's not yet clear whether the (apparent feedback) problem will occur when the LED bulbs are not connected directly to the LampLinc Dimmer.

Does anyone know whether this problem is encountered with other brands or models of LED bulbs?

Comment

This is not a behavior you will see with a lot of other LED loads on the market. This is triggering on because of a load sense capability the dimmers have. Likely a capacitor and other componentry in the circuitry causing the loads sense to trigger. This is a similar behavior of turning the load off and it still shows the load as faintly dim.

Comment

Steve, thank you. That is good to know. Your explanation raises another question for me: if I use a simple on-off lamp link switch, rather than a Dimmer, should the problem go away?

Comment

Yes, likely

Comment

Steve, a follow-up and a related question.

First, I have purchased and successfully used Great Eagle dimmable LED bulbs (from Amazon) with Insteon 3 wire switches. They dim well and work fine with on and off as well, with no feedback.

I now note that the Insteon 2 wire dimmable switches state that they should not be used with LED bulbs of any kind, dimmable or not. Do you know what the issue is there?

Comment

Insteon 2-wire switches leach a slight amount of power as a series load between the supply and the light bulb. With incandescent bulbs the leaching does not cause any noticeable effects. With LED’s the loads might always be on at a faint dim level even when the switch is off or they might flicker.

Other manufactures have this power leaching process buiktint into there non neutral products with the same non LED specs

Comment

Also just had numerous 4" LED Lithuania Lighting WF series installed and experienced flickering with the keypadlinc as well as the 2477D. The Lithuania Lighting packaging stated the Insteon 2477D was a compatible dimmer but their tech support said that it is no longer compatible. I would love a recommendation for a replacement 4" slim design LED dimmable downlight. When I contacted Insteon support I was told that "Instead dimmer switches are compatible with all the leading edge technology LED bulbs". And then they recommended brands (Cree, GE...). I didn't get a recommendation for a dimmable LED downlight though.

Comment

I would try a few different brands as many company's change internal components without saying anything which could impact your dimmers. Cree, GE, Philips, etc. historically has worked well with Insteon. Individual models change however so verifying through testing is your best bet

Comment

I had some early Phillips Alien Head style LED bulbs. Back when they where like $20 or more each. They changed the internal electronics and the only difference was an 'A' on the end of the part number. Between the originals and newer ones. They acted completely different on a dimmer switch. The L-Prize ones where very nice on a dimmer but outrageously expensive.

Comment

Working...
                    X