unable to control light over a very short distance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

unable to control light over a very short distance

I purchased a 2245-222 hub and 3 2663-222 on/off outlets. I am unable to control any outlets more than 15-20 feet away inside my house. I have "moved" the room wiring around in the breaker box so they are all on the same power phase. No improvement. Home construction is typical dry wall with wood studs. I would guess that the RF comms would work over that distance. Any way to test just the RF portion ?

OK , I meet the hub installation requirements as to outlet , no filter , open air etc . The hub is located high on the wall and the on / off outlets are in phenolic or plastic outlet boxes about 16 " off the floor.
    When I ran the RF test , one outlet , about 8 feet away the LED's flashed during the test , the second unit , which is about 20 feet away , the LED's had no response. The LED's remained constant. I would have thought the RF range of the hub would be greater based on how much marketing emphasis is placed on robust dual band operation.
    I'm replacing some Belkin (Wemo) units and some X10 stuff . My hope is to integrate all the functions into the Insteon hardware.

Comment

As for the plugin modules , I was hoping to replace the external plugin Belkin Wemo units with built in on/off outlets for a cleaner look.

Comment

Indirectly , the questions I've been asking is...What is the typical "RF only" range I can expect between a hub and a on/off switched outlet ? Could I have a bad Hub ?

Comment

Sales site says 250 feet. Depending on construction.
          If there are obstructions between the devices. The outlet is in a metal electrical box. The RF could be range could be shorter or not available between the two modules.

Comment

I'm not getting 1/10th of that range.

Comment

If the module is in a metal electrical box. In some cases reduce the RF range and limit the RF signals direction between the two modules.

Comment

Working...
              X