Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much electricity used?

Hi Guys;

I have a question. I have many Insteon KPLs SWLs etc… A friend of mine came over and said even though a dimmer may be dimming at 50%, I may not necessarily be using 50% power.
    Some dimmers still use 80%-85% electricity even though they are dimmed.

Does anyone know if the Insteon stuff is the same?

Drew

No worries, triac dimmers used in the Insteon line are very efficient. At the 50% setting, the load actually only receives power for 50% of the AC sine wave.

Comment

I am sorry.,I don't know.

Comment

Dimmers used nowadays are very efficient. So no need to worry.

Comment

yes, i agree with you.

Comment

I value the insights and guidance you provide, I will try to figure it out for more.
            Last edited by INSTEON John; 05-07-2023, 02:24 PM. Reason: Erased hidden code linked to a non-relevant web site like spam

Comment

It is possible that some Insteon dimmers may still consume a significant amount of electricity even when dimmed, but this would depend on the specific model and design. It's best to consult the manufacturer's specifications or contact their customer support for more information on the energy consumption of their products.
              Last edited by INSTEON John; 05-07-2023, 02:23 PM. Reason: Erased hidden code linked to a non-relevant web site like spam

Comment

Well, this is one of those smart home gadgets. The Insteon tool is quite effective. You don't need to worry too much.
                Last edited by INSTEON John; 05-19-2023, 12:22 PM. Reason: Erased hidden code linked to a non-relevant web site like spam

Comment

You brought up a good topic and I enjoyed it very much.
                  Last edited by INSTEON John; 06-25-2023, 01:12 PM. Reason: Erased hidden code linked to a non-relevant web site like spam

Comment

Hi Drew,

I'm not familiar with the specific Insteon models you mentioned, but in general, most dimmers do use more power than the brightness level would suggest. This is because they use a technique called pulse-width modulation (PWM) to control the brightness of the light. PWM works by turning the light on and off very quickly, and the brightness of the light is determined by how long the light is on compared to how long it is off.

Here are some additional tips for saving energy with dimmers:
                    • Use LED bulbs. LED bulbs are much more energy efficient than incandescent or CFL bulbs.
                    • Dim lights only when you need to. Don't dim lights just because you can.
                    • Turn off lights when you leave a room.

I hope this helps!

Comment

Originally posted by Druv3us View Post
                      Hi Guys;

I have a question. I have many Insteon KPLs SWLs etc… A friend of mine came over and said even though a dimmer may be dimming at 50%, I may not necessarily be using 50% power.
                      Some dimmers still use 80%-85% electricity even though they are dimmed.

Does anyone know if the Insteon stuff is the same?
                      Drew
                      It's an intriguing question you raised about the power usage of dimmers, specifically the Insteon ones. While some dimmers may consume a significant percentage of electricity even when dimmed, typically around 80%-85% of their full power usage, it's important to note that Insteon products are known for their efficiency and advanced technology. Although I don't have specific information on the power consumption of Insteon dimmers, users have reported their energy-saving benefits compared to traditional dimmers. On another note, conducting regular status checks in our daily lives is valuable as it allows us to assess progress, set goals, and monitor achievements. These checks help us make informed decisions, take necessary actions, and ensure personal growth towards desired outcomes. If you have any further inquiries, feel free to ask. Keep exploring and have a fantastic day!
                      Last edited by INSTEON John; 12-26-2023, 08:35 AM. Reason: Erased hidden code linked to a non-relevant web site like spam

Comment

Originally posted by tarafoster View Post

It is possible that some Insteon dimmers may still consume a significant amount of electricity even when dimmed, but this would depend on the specific model and design. It's best to consult the manufacturer's specifications or contact their customer support for more information on the energy consumption of their products.
                        Be cautious with Insteon dimmers; energy consumption varies by model. Check specs or contact support for details on electricity usage.
                        Last edited by INSTEON John; 03-17-2024, 01:44 PM. Reason: removed hidden link to non-relevant website

Comment

Working...
                        X