2441th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2441th

Hello, I read over the threads, but didn't see my answer. I need to buy a new thermostat and thought I would just get the 2441TH, as I have a heater only. The question is I only have two wires, can I use a jumper like I did with an old Venstar in a past house.

Thanks

No. You need at least three wires or a separate power supply. If your Venstar was programmable, then it probably had batteries.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Thanks, sounds like I will go with the NEST battery.

Comment

I think I might try http://www.smarthome.com/venstar-acc...ermostats.html as a work around tell the newer fancy thermostats work out the bugs.

Comment

The Add-a-Wire kit won't work for the Insteon thermostat if you have only two wires because the thermostat requires both R and C wires in addition to at least one control wire.
          Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.

Comment

Stu, I thought it would work as it adds a diode that will take one of the wires and makes it two.
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

That hookup is only to add heating or cooling to a system that had only one of cooling or heating. It does not add the C wire that's required for the Insteon thermostat.

Comment

Originally posted by stusviews View Post
                That hookup is only to add heating or cooling to a system that had only one of cooling or heating. It does not add the C wire that's required for the Insteon thermostat.
                Thanks, sounds like I will get a refurbished Insteon Remote Control Totaline/Venstar Compatible Thermostat Adapter and a 1 day Venstar. Being in Orange County, we use our heater so little.

Thanks again.

Comment

The Venstar T1700 also requires a C connection. In fact, any programmable thermostat requires a power source. If power is not provided from the thermostat cable, then a battery powered thermostat is needed.

BTW, there's also an Orange County in New York and even Vermont. I suspect that you're south of Los Angeles, north of Mexico
                  Last edited by stusviews; 11-28-2016, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stusviews View Post
                    The Venstar T1700 also requires a C connection. In fact, any programmable thermostat requires a power source. If power is not provided from the thermostat cable, then a battery powered thermostat is needed.

BTW, there's also an Orange County in New York and even Vermont. I suspect that you're south of Los Angeles, north of Mexico
                    Orange County, CA. What is interesting is I have used the T1700 with a jumper and it has worked in the past. In fact I just found my Insteon remote control for the old one.

Comment

What did you jumper? None of the Venstar T1700, T1800 or T1900 will even light up without both C and R wires nor can the be programmed or scheduled. They will turn on heat or cooling manually however, but so will the 2441TH. You just can't see the setting.

Comment

Stu, I will need to double check, but I think it was a jumper from RC to RH to get it to work.

Comment

None of the Venstar T1700, T1800 or T1900 has Rc or Rh, just R.

In any case, Rc and Rh (in thermostats that have both) are meant for use when each of heating and cooling has its own power supply, a common situation when heating or cooling is added to an existing system that already has one or the other. The jumper doesn't alleviate the need for a power supply, it allows using one, instead of two power supplies.

Comment

Okay, I must have run a third wire in my old home to get it working in the past. So I can't get a new wire run to the current location of the thermostat. What are other easy options to getting control of my heater via z wave or insteon into my ISY without any crazy programing.

Thanks very much.

Comment

An external power supply is required. Some WiFi thermostats will work, for example, an Ecobee3 or Nest.

Comment

Working...
                              X