Using 2441zth thermostat to remotely monitor temperature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using 2441zth thermostat to remotely monitor temperature

I am using an Insteon Hub #2245-222 at a remote cabin, and primarily use it to turn electric heat units on, using three Insteon 2477SA1 units to activate the heat in three different zones. It would be nice to be able to see what the temperature in the cabin actually is and wondering if I could use a wireless 2441ZTH thermostat with the Hub, just so I can see what the cabin temperature is doing?

Yes, that will work. It'd be best if you use an external power supply for the thermostat. Battery powered devices don't always update remotely.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Thank you. Good idea on the external power supply, especially since temperatures in the ingested cabin could get down to 30 below zero. Will have to put some thought into a source for the external power.

Larry

Comment

External power is a piece of cake for those units. They use +5V DC. Just take any standard USB charging cube and cable (for a cell phone or something similar). Cut off the end that goes to the phone or device (Micro-USB). Strip the wires, and use the red (+5v) and black (neutral/ground) wires and connect them to the terminals on the back. That will provide the needed 5V DC to the thermostat. See page 11 of the manual here: http://cache.insteon.com/documentation/2441ZTH-en.pdf under the section "Power Supply". I used an old micro USB charging cable and cube from an old Android phone,and it's been working like a charm.

Comment

After my last post, I did go to the manual for the 2441ZTH thermostat and noticed that it would take a 5V external power supply. I didn't think of using USB charging cube and cable--that's a great idea, and I have a couple of those laying around. Thanks again,

Larry

Comment

Happy to help!

Comment

Anyone know if you should leave batteries in the unit if you attach a DC source. I don't expect to charge the batteries, but do they function as a sort of battery backup for power failures or if you want to move the unit.

EDIT: Found it in the manual. Yes, leave the batteries in, and they will take over if no external power is applied.

Last edited by sejohannsen; 06-24-2017, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X