Low temp sensor ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Low temp sensor ideas

I would like to use my Insteon hub and gear to notify me if the temperature drops too low in my vacation home. Think of it exactly like a water leak sensor and how it sends an alert via the hub, except do it for low temp. I don't believe there is a sensor for this, and I can't see how one of the Insteon thermostats might help (but I might be wrong), so I'm looking for a creative way to solve the problem.

I've used Insteon for quite a long time, and I understand electrical stuff quite easily. I could use an old style thermostat set at a low temp, let's say 45 degrees, which would give me a closed circuit when the temp goes below that (like it is calling to a furnace for heat). I could potentially hook that up to an I/Olink so now I'm talking to the Insteon network, but I don't know how to turn that into a text alert to my phone via my hub (if at all).

I'm also wondering if use the garage door sensor type of circuit might be a way to go.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

JR

A couple of options.

Use an insteon thermostat with an isy controller. Then write a program that says “ If temp is lower then 45 deg then notify me”. The insteon hub won’t be able to do that but the isy will.

second option is to buy a fixed value temp sensor that closes its contacts at 45 deg or colder and connect it to the sense input of the io Linc. Both isy and hub should be able to alert you with notifications from this setup.

Comment

Thanks. I have some of those fixed temp sensors so that's a good place to start. What I don't see in any manual is if/how the IO Linc can be used to send an alert. I only see how the IO Linc talks to another Insteon device, like a switch, and turns it on/off. Is the IO link seen by the hub and has some options so that once the IO Link gets the closed signal from the temp sensor an alert is sent to me via the hub?

I know the hub can send a notification/alert whenever a switch is turned on/off. I use this feature for one particular switch. Does the IO Linc simply have the same options via the hub?

Comment

Once you add the IO Linc to the Hub app, under the device settings you can select either 'monitor relay status' or 'monitor sensor status.' This will tell the Hub what type of alert you are looking for from that device. You would want to make sure monitor sensor status is On. The Hub will then start sending you push/email notifications whenever the sensor threshold is crossed.

Comment

Fantastic, that's exactly what I was hoping for. Will order an IO Linc today.

Comment

hello,
            can we measure low temperature using thermostats?
            Please help me. or Is there any other tool or machine available?
            can we use hvac system instead of thermostats?
            Last edited by elizabethB; 12-21-2019, 02:33 AM.

Comment

Do you need to know the low temperatures value or if the temperature has fallen below a set value?
              How low is the temperature you need to sense?
              Where would you like to monitor?

Comment

Another use for a temperature sensor is as an alarm system. A low temperature sensor can alert you if your room gets too hot or too cold, so you can stay safe and protected at all times.
                Last edited by INSTEON John; 05-22-2023, 02:24 PM. Reason: Erased hidden code linked to a non-relevant web site like spam

Comment

I/O lincs are awesome. I have found many uses for them. I have a spa attached to my pool that stays open all winter. I use the I/O linc along with fixed temp sensors to automatically turn the pumps on and send me an e-mail if the temp goes below 40 to keep them from freezing. I also have multiple I/O links connected to water shutoff valves to I can tell Alexa to water the roses or fill the pool. In each case it turns the water on for 30 minutes. I also have a main shutoff valve that is linked to an I/O linc, a 240V relay for my well pump and multiple leak detectors near the water pressure tank, water heater and water filtration system. In the case of a leak detection, the 240V relay shuts off the well pump and the I/O linc closes the main water valve. Even if the leak is before the main valve, the worst that can happen is that 5 gallons or so will drain from the pressure tank, but no more will come from the well since the pump is off. I also use an I/O linc to trigger a 16 channel whole house amplifier when I tell Alexa to play music so I don't have to have a 1600 watt amplifier sucking power all day long when its not in use. BTW, I use an ISY. Not sure if you could accomplish all this with an Insteon Hub, but I've never used one so I don't know for sure.

Also, here are two temp sensors I have used. The Winland TA-40 is inexpensive, but is fixed at 40 degrees F. The MTA-2 is pricey, but allows you to set both a high and low temperature trigger if you need to. Winland Electronics
                  Last edited by John Pizzo; 09-10-2022, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X