Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Sonos Bug - Does anyone read these forums?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Sonos Bug - Does anyone read these forums?

So I uncovered another bug. My question to Insteon (or anyone that may know) how does the Insteon hub map to a sonos zone player?

The reason I ask is my DHCP server renewed some IP address and some of my sonos speakers did not get the same IP as they had when I initially setup my insteon hub. (Or I am guessing this is the cause of my issue) as now I have a speaker (office zone) that was never setup on my hub but now when trying to control my (bedroom zone) previous setup on hub it's controlling the office zone. How the f@$# is this possible it's never been setup.

It would seam that this integration is riddled with bugs (see some of my previous posts), but it's unfortunate that no one at insteon wants to pay any attention. Don't get me wrong I love the hardware but they definitely seam to be lacking in the software department.

For example I just read the hub firmware was updated to properly control the dual outlet switch (bottom outlet). Really! Just now? That dual outlet switch has been available for over 9 months already. I have one and had to program it manually to my keypad and mini remote.

Anyway hope some more people jump onboard and start playing with this sonos setup, when it works its so nice, it's been almost a week and I have only had to use my phone app to group zones.

It talks to it via IP so if your system issued the up to another Sonos it would control that device. You should reserve your Mac addreses in your router or turn off DHCP on your devices to prevent them from changing.

In regards to insteon. This is a peer to peer forum. They generally do not monitor for support help. You'll either want to call or email them for support related questions

Comment

Yes I realise that these are peer to peer forums but it would not be uncommon for official insteon reps to browse the forum. I would only hope anyway, otherwise how are they going to improve on their products.

I changed out my layer 3 router a couple weekends ago and left everything set to DHCP except some of my server and core devices that where already set static. I would have thought in this day and age of networking that they would not be only looking at the IP address but also the Host name or better yet the MAC address itself if they are doing mapping.

I guess I will have to set reservations again on all my Sonos equipment, I could not imagine turning off DHCP with over 140 devices on my internal network.

Comment

Originally posted by dxintel View Post
        Yes I realise that these are peer to peer forums but it would not be uncommon for official insteon reps to browse the forum. I would only hope anyway, otherwise how are they going to improve on their products.

I changed out my layer 3 router a couple weekends ago and left everything set to DHCP except some of my server and core devices that where already set static. I would have thought in this day and age of networking that they would not be only looking at the IP address but also the Host name or better yet the MAC address itself if they are doing mapping.

I guess I will have to set reservations again on all my Sonos equipment, I could not imagine turning off DHCP with over 140 devices on my internal network.
        There aren't very many consumer grade products which track Host Name / MAC address to operate. The HUB II is a $79.XX consumer grade appliance its limitations and capabilities need to be understood.
        Want to make a real difference? Please cast your vote to make the PLM Pro a reality: http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-...t/8221-plm-pro

Comment

Tracking issues would come from their tech support Dept. Via phone and email. While forums can provide a multitude of information; much of it would not help them.

1) many issues are user issues.
          2) if people are commenting on forums, many more are probably calling or emailing about the same problems.
          3) if they fix the issue, they know exactly what was done. If 20 people comment on something, there is no guarantee the fix will be clear. Issuess via their tech Dept. Can be tracked and organised.
          As Teken already stated, most consumer products do not track Mac addreses and host names. Especially an eighty dollar entry level device.

Comment

Virtually all devices that manage other devices (e.g., routers) keep track of the MAC address which is unique for each device. Distribution devices such as switches, routers and WiFi Extenders don't have a MAC address. The Hub has a MAC address (but it doesn't link to other WiFi nor wired IP devices). IP cameras also have MAC addresses (and also don't link to other WiFi or wired IP devices). You can find the MAC address of anything connected to your LAN (wired or wireless) by viewing devices connected to you router.
            Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
            Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Almost all management equipment (such as routers) keep track of the MAC address, which is specific to each device. A MAC address is not present on distribution devices like switches, routers, and WiFi extenders. Although it doesn't connect to other WiFi or wired IP devices, the Hub has a MAC address. Additionally, IP cameras don't connect to other WiFi or wired IP devices and have their own MAC addresses. By looking at devices linked to your router, you can discover the MAC address of everything connected to your LAN (wired or wireless). geometry dash
              Last edited by rogerturcotte; 08-08-2023, 09:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X