Hub with no code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hub with no code

i saw someone on eBay selling insteon hubs with no codes. I have a hub that went bad, could I use the code from he bad one on the eBay one?

Absolutely not! Each and every Insteon device has a unique identification code consisting of three hexadecimal pairs. That's actually what makes Insteon so flexible, for example, an Insteon SwitchLinc can be set to respond differently to hundreds of controllers based on its unique id. There are nearly 17 million possible combinations (16,777,216 actually), so they won't run out any time soon

Support may be able to identify the code, but you should check with them first.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Sounds fishy to me. 1 with no code I get, but many would make me question things.

Comment

I seen the same hubs on Ebay as you spoke of, mine failed last week.I purchased a new one and set it up a few days ago and up and running again.
        I also went directly to insteons web site a couple days ago and for insurance ordered a factory refurb for 35 bucks, cant beat that even on ebay for something that's possibly been stolen.
        Even though my warranty will run out on the refurb one before I ever need to use it, its a much better way to go, and it is a 2245-222 hub.
        Going to open it up, since warranty will be zero in hopefully a couple years or more, and see if it has larger caps, my last one that failed were smaller and a lot of them failed
        Last edited by rajung; 12-09-2017, 05:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rajung View Post
          I seen the same hubs on Ebay as you spoke of, mine failed last week.I purchased a new one and set it up a few days ago and up and running again.
          How did you get it set up without the code? Im relatively new to insteon, I’ve been slowing switching over from X10 for about a year.

Comment

" new" as in a brand new one from Menards, local big box home retail center.Refurbished one directly from smarthome.com
            Actually only paid 31.00 with a discount code I found online.Always do that trick when internet searching, many times you get lucky.
            I am thinking, since these hubs have been known to fail, someone removes the code label, once it quits working, and sells the box to some unsuspecting person who tries to get it to work.
            Thinking its not working due to not having a code, when in fact it most likely is not powering up due to circuit failure.After a moth or so trying to get it to work you throw it away.If you do go the used ebay route, ask if it works?But I would not waste my time , Houdini wouldn't be able to figure out code.
            It would be like buying a used band Aid even if it had a code on it.I would skip the used option and go refurb if cost is an issue and only from smarthome or factory auth center.

Comment

As I was writing my last post the refurbished one was delivered.
              I opened the mailing box and the hub came shipped in its store display original package and all cables, owner papers,everything as new, you would never know it was refurbished from a new store bought one except for the part number being 2245-222R instead of 2245-222

Comment

curiosity got the best of me and I had to open.
                Only thing that looks like may have been replaced would be a 10v capacitor at location C32, a little dark on bottom side of circuit board compared to the rest of the solder spots.

Comment

Working...
                X