Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please Help Me Unpack My Late Father's System

Hey,

My dad passed away suddenly leaving my stepmom with an x10/Insteon system with a couple pieces that we can't figure out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here's what I know:

He is using the Universal Devices admin app (java) with an ISY-994i box (on home network) and a PowerLink Insteon modem (Connected to ISY with ethernet). It's powering a few lamps and lights as well as the landscape pumps that activate some waterfalls in the backyard.

Here are my big questions:

1) We know that he would change the pump "programs" throughout the year: summer, anit-freeze in the winter, etc... But in the UD Admin program I can't see any way of changing programs. Am I missing some way he could have been doing that?

2) There is another program on the PC called SmartHome Manager, which has different programs that can be loaded, but it doesn't appear to be able to communicate with with the ISY box. Am I missing something there?

3) The five landscape pumps are hooked into five wall switches in the house. I expected them to be Insteon switches like the ones that control the lights are. But when I took the faceplate off, they are just standard light switches. So the ISY is telling something to turn off and on, but I have no idea where that thing is. I've followed the signal chain as far as I can, but I can't find anything. Does anyone know what I should be looking for? Also, if it helps narrow anything, there is also a, x10 "MAXI Remote" that plugs into the wall socket that can also turn the pumps off and on. And also strange, the wall switches are always left in the "on" position... Turning them "off" will kill a pump when it's on, but flipping back to "on" will not activate it again, which doesn't make sense to me.

I just need to accomplish one of two things:

a) be able to figure out how he was switching "programs" so my stepmom can continue doing that.

b) be able to understand the system well enough to be able to switch her over to a more user friendly system to control it. My plan was to do that, but without knowing how those pump switches work, I don't want to start replacing controllers or switches... You know...

Anyway, I would appreciate any help or insight you could provide.

Thank you.

jb

It sucks but you may have to start over bro. Homeseer may help you
    find configure and implement these missing links.

Comment

I'm sorry for your loss as well. I agree with Tfitzpatri8. You will find the ISY forums extremely helpful and will have his system fixed and running in no time.
      There's no need to swap systems or anything of the sort. The ISY is a much better system than homeseer. If you can log into the admin console then all that you have left would be to look at the tabs at the top and it will say programs. That is where you will find the timers.

Comment

2) Smarthome Manager Essentials or Plus is for the 1132CU X10 controller. Connects to the computer by a USB cable. It has nothing to do with the ISY994i that can also do X10.

The cable between the ISY994i and the 2413S or 2412S PLM. Is a serial connection. Using an Ethernet style cable.
        Last edited by BLH; 11-21-2017, 04:20 PM.

Comment

The first thing to mind is to heed the knowledgeable posters, TFitzpatri8, lilyoyo1 and BLH and to totally ignore the troll. Then, get the UDI account.

BTW, standard switches will never appear in any HA system. That's the reason that they were left on, to provide power the the HA devices. You will need to leave than on or bypass them (not difficult). But, all that will get straightened out after you post at the link provided by TFitzpatri8.
          Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
          Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

@JB,

Very sorry to hear of your loss and hope the family pulls through. All of us look forward to helping you and your Mom in the UDI forum.
            Want to make a real difference? Please cast your vote to make the PLM Pro a reality: http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-...t/8221-plm-pro

Comment

Working...
            X