Configuring the Motion Sensor II - without a HUB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Configuring the Motion Sensor II - without a HUB

I have a motion sensor II on pre-order and I plan on using it in my home theater. I have a serial PLM that will receive the Occupancy ON/OFF messages that I will use in my code. I don't have HUB. The manual provides instructions for disabling the LED via the App. Given that this unit will be in my darkened home theater I don't want any LEDs flashing. Is there a method (without a HUB) to disable the LEDs that come on with motion?

Nope. There's currently no other way to disable the LED.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Well there must be a command for it. It is just that it isn't documented- all the hub would be doing is sending some set of codes through the plm to the motion sensor. It would be nice if Insteon documented those commands.

Comment

The information maybe given to the developers and third party hardware vendors like UDI. I doubt such data would be released to the general public anymore.
        That was the way it was when the Developers Group {now defunct} , I was a member of was handled.

Comment

Hmm. So hardware that is aimed at a primarily enthusiast market is no longer openly documented so that the community can build solutions? That's.... disappointing.

Anyhow I guess I'm left with one of three options:

1) Live with the LED light flashing in my home theater (not a chance)
          2) Buy a hub
          3) Cover up the LEDs

I guess I'm leaning towards the last option - provided I can even get access to the LED - From the pictures it looks as though the unit is sealed - hopefully there is a way in.

If I was to buy a HUB - what is the cheapest unit I can get away with? As I previously mentioned - I have the Serial version of the PLM in case that matters.

Comment

To clarify my statement on the Developers Group. I had to buy access to the Users Forums and Documentation.
            For awhile the documentation was then made public when the group disappeared. Now it is gone again. Though I believe it sometimes is still found by a search engine.

Not too sure on getting to the LEDs.
            The internal and external photos in the FCC Database are not much help either.
            I use the Light Dim products to cover the very bright power LED on my ISY994i

Someone with HUB information should give you a better idea of what is best. As I am strictly a ISY994i user.
            The new Motion Sensor II along with the discontinued Alert Module and present Siren Module. Are not supported by an ISY994i yet.
            Can be frustrating. Having a module and can only use manually allowed thing at present.
            Last edited by BLH; 02-28-2017, 07:58 AM.

Comment

The front case is held by four (FIC) force insertion clips and some glue. So assuming you don't mind risking breaking the front face off you can give that a try. If you search on EBAY you can find quite a few HUB II's going out the door from $10 ~ 45.00 USD. I would opt to buying a used / new unit via EBAY and turn off the LED that way.
              Want to make a real difference? Please cast your vote to make the PLM Pro a reality: http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-...t/8221-plm-pro

Comment

Originally posted by EVIL Teken View Post
                The front case is held by four (FIC) force insertion clips and some glue. So assuming you don't mind risking breaking the front face off you can give that a try. If you search on EBAY you can find quite a few HUB II's going out the door from $10 ~ 45.00 USD. I would opt to buying a used / new unit via EBAY and turn off the LED that way.
                Yeah thanks. I'll see if I can pick one up cheap on ebay

Comment

Working...
                X