How can I setup without Internet connection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can I setup without Internet connection

Hi I'm working on a new project and just realized not only does the Hub require connection to the local network, accessible via WiFi by the Insteon App, it appears to require connection to the Internet. This is impossible because the Internet connection is subscribed as a multi year service plan and only a cut over is possible from the old address when someone moves in to the new place when reno is finished. So is there any other way for setting up all the devices using the Hub without running around all over pressing at least two sets of buttons to set the controlling and following devices?

There isn't. The hub is cloud based so you need internet

Comment

"there's nothing preventing you from temporarily powering devices with a lamp cord and programming scenes offsite, then installing all the gear in its final location."
      I'm sorry but this is a major crippling factor. This is doing things twice with twice the labor for the electrician.
      What advantages are we gaining by using the Internet for the initial programming?

Comment

Not so. I almost always, setup scenes using a lamp cord prior to installing the device. Then I install the device in it's intended location. The other solution is to install the device and then set up the scenes.

In either case, installation and set-up occurs once each.
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
        Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Problem is I can't do the setup during construction without an Internet connection. I had to buy a wireless bridge with router function and use a phone acting as wifi hotspot. I tried a wireless bridge but it didn't work because the phone assigned public IP to the app and hub so they can't communicate.

Comment

I think the reason I didn't order the ISY was because Insteon doesn't have a modem that works in 230V AC.

Comment

I am trying to set up a short term (1 or 2 months) monitor for a home I have that is for sale access town. I have an old MacBook Air which can get a suitable wifi signal from a neighbor at this remote location. I have an Insteon hub and some sensors attached that work fine at my home attached by ethernet to my Apple router. Any suggestions as to how to allow MacBook to feed an ethernet signal to the Insteon hub at the remote location? I could also use a pay as you go hotspot, but none I've found have an ethernet-out port.

Comment

Netgear makes one (#LB1120) that will work with most carriers. I tried one called Freedom Pop on Sprint and it worked well.

Comment

Working...
                X