Communication is reliable except when commands sent in succession

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Communication is reliable except when commands sent in succession

Hi folks, I am new to Insteon, and have replaced most of the switches in my house with SwitchLincs by this point.

My communication is 100% reliable except when multiple commands are issued in succession. For instance, I have two SwitchLinc Dimmer switches in a "virtual 3-way" (both are controllers in a scene, and one has no load connected to it). If I go to the "Remote" (the one with no load) and start dimming the lights, then realize "oops, too dim", and quickly switch to brightening them, it seems the switches lose communication with each other until I hit the power on or off button.

Although it is not really a part of the above picture (those switches aren't part of any program or bigger scene), I have an ISY-994i Pro and have also seen the ISY-994i complain of being unable to communicate with a SwitchLinc when I am, say, making a change to a large scene (dozen or so devices in it) that touches all of the devices.

Other than that, I'm not having trouble.

I can duplicate this both with switches on the same circuit, and between a SwitchLinc and a LampLinc on different circuits (and probably different legs). It is slightly easier to duplicate between the SwitchLinc and LampLinc.

All devices concerned were bought within the last 2 weeks and are APs.

My house is, so far as I know, electrically and RF quiet. I am into amateur radio and it has to be this for my hobby. No 900MHz devices were in use at the time this was going on, and the only other RF in the house at that time was Wifi. My ham radios were not in use. My wiring was all new in 2006 and I suspect it is still in excellent shape. No TVs, etc. were powered on nearby.

I was able to capture a detailed event trace from the ISY-994i showing this issue and have attached it. Both switches started showing the light off (and it was). On the "remote" (no load) switch, I pushed and held the brightness up button. Then I released it and held the brightness down button. The light continued to move to full brightness, and the remote switch moved to full off. The switches were then showing opposite states.

The "remote" switch is 33.2C.0E and the "load" switch is 33.2B.0E.

I'm new to the Insteon protocol, but I think the first line (LTMCON UP) means that I pressed and held the dimmer button in the up direction. I'm not sure what BMAN 1 means. Anyhow, then we see the LTMCOFF (I guess "release the brighten button"). I don't see a second LTMCON come through -- that's what I'm missing, eh?

Is there anything I can do about this? Can others duplicate this in their setups?

Thanks!

Attaching the event log
    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
    X