Main board RCDs attenuate Insteon signals even on same phase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Main board RCDs attenuate Insteon signals even on same phase

This is my first post as a n00b to these forums, however I'm not an X10/Insteon n00b so I hope I've chosen the correct forum.

I am in the process of switching from X10 to Insteon in a house (in Sydney Australia on 240V) that has been completely renovated and rewired to code.
    This means a main board with three phase 240V and surge arrestors, with a sub-board and DIN rail for each phase, with individual circuits connected by residual current circuit breakers (RCD).

Because my circuits are split over the three phases, as an earlier troubleshooting measure I also installed 3x FD10 X10/Insteon phase couplers:
    http://www.envioustechnology.com.au/...tail.php?ID=73

I have an Insteon Hub (version 4.8A Build Feb 08 2013, PLM version 9C, Binary version Alert2.6YF) and a raft of MicroRelays and MicroDimmers as well as some legacy X10 devices. There are no problems with any of these when connected to the same circuit.

However, I have determined that the RCDs are entirely attenuating Insteon/X10 signals between circuits even on the same phase. This is a multi-floor house and the wireless mesh between devices is ineffective due to distance. I am pretty certain of this diagnosis as I spent a day with my electrician testing and swapping circuits and phases to come to this conclusion. That is, copper distance or other device interference have been ruled out.

Attached is a photo of my breakers (and you can see the phase couplers at the bottom). The models in use are:
    Hager AD820T 104406 (for power circuits RCBO 4.5KA 20A 30MA 2MOD TYPE AC D/MNT)
    Hager AD816T 104405 (for light circuits RCBO 4.5KA 16A 30MA 2MOD TYPE AC D/MNT)

So... questions please:
    1. Has anybody had a similar problem? (I searched the forum but there is no match for "RCD" at all; perhaps this is not a North American thing?)
    2. Is there a solution - for example changing out these Hager models for different RCDs? (I know nothing about RCDs)

Thanks in advance!
    Marc
    IMG_2920.jpg
    Last edited by ed209; 01-23-2015, 03:57 PM. Reason: Added model number of Insteon Hub, corrected typo.

A similar situation exists in North America with some brands of protective breakers, but, for the most part, manufacturers have improved the devices. Is it possible to try a different brand? I'm aware that such devices are costly.

Edit: What is the result if you remove the phase-couplers? That's a no-cost test
    Last edited by stusviews; 01-23-2015, 04:34 PM.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Stu. Couplers were isolated during the testing with the electrician aren't a factor - problem is occurring on same phase. In fact I naiively only recently installed the couplers thinking that this would solve the problem. Only since doing so I've realised by process of elimination that it's the breakers.

Interestingly I see now that RCD is roughly equivalent to GFCI in the USA except that in Australia all circuits are protected (by regulation) at the busbar rather than at the outlet itself, so have searched the forums for this - nothing similar reported. I've also emailed Hager Australia to see what they say, but Insteon is (believe it or not) only a couple of years old in Australia and is relatively unknown by electricians and others in the trade.

Comment

​Marc, I agree with Stu and removing the FD10 modules. According to the Envious Technology web site, it states:
        The FD10 suppresses this interference, thus increasing the range and reliability of your system. It also stops the unlikely chance of your neighbour's X10 system turning on and off your lights!
        This device is designed to absorb all power line signals including those in your home. It works on the idea that attenuating weak incoming signals from neighboring homes will be so weak as to not trigger your modules. Right now, those FD10 modules are weakening all the power line signals in your home including the Insteon one's. There was once a similar device for North American homes.

​For the phase bridging concerns, rely on the RF portion of your Insteon modules to get the signals between the three AC power mains.

​John

Comment

Marc, the equivalent circuit breaker in North America is an Arc-Fault Circuit Interrupter (AFCI).
          Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
          Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

old topic, but FWIW, my home was built in 2010 and nearly every circuit is equipped with an AFCI breaker.
            My Insteon network contains ~ 20 devices and two 2443 range extenders and have very few communication problems. I guess I have enough wireless devices to hop across the two legs of the breaker panel.

The builder explained that if an outlet is accessible in a bedroom or certain living quarters, local electrical code requires one of the AFCI devices. And as I later discovered, they're really sensitive to the inrush of current caused by large stereo amplifiers! (but they become less twitchy over time...)

Comment

Working...
            X