Trouble turing a scene off - and other access issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trouble turing a scene off - and other access issues

I have been reading and experimenting for hours but several things still are troublesome. It took an hour with Insteon on the phone to get things up and running. The connections kept failing. I have an Insteon starter kit with hub, motion sensor, leak sensor, and 2 outlet switches. I got the water sensor working and sending me an email (it's watching for water overflow at my sump pump). Several things seem problematic with the app control.

1. I have setup a scene where the Motion Sensor sees activity and turns on a light through a on/off switch module. While I am in the house, I would like to turn off this scene. But when I go to Scene and press the Off button, the motion sensor still turns the light on. I thought this should be relatively simple but the Off does nothing. My end goal will be to have have a mini-button control setup to where - when I come home into the house, I want one of the mini buttons setup to turn the Scene off. Then when I leave the house, I want a different mini button setup to turn on the Scene when pressed. Is this even possible? I need to get past this Bump before proceeding to the next step - which is - after the Scene is turned on, and the Motion Sensor sees activity, I want the camera to take a picture and email it to me. Is this possible too?

2. I have an iphone with app and an adroid tablet with app. Many times I try to sign on to my insteon system remotely and get a: Connecting to hub - Fail. I can Try Again repeatedly but sometimes it just won't connect. Other times, if the iphone will not connect, I use the android and it will connect - or android won't and iphone will. What a pain. Any ideas as to what can cause this?

Thanks for your help.

The Hub does not have the ability to enable or disable a scene.

Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

So when I select the Scene that I created, the On/Off buttons display. Is there no purposed to this On/Off display?

Any ideas as to why I have constant problems logging it - getting Fail on the "Connecting to Hub" step?

Comment

You can turn the scene on or off, but you cannot disable the scene.
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.

Comment

Ok. I have a scene setup that uses the motion sensor to turn on a light/switch module. Pressing the Off button should then stop the light from turning on when the sensor sees motion - right? It does not. I turn the scene off and the next motion turns the light on. What could be wrong?

Comment

Nothing is wrong. Turning off your TV does not disable the TV. You can still turn the TV on with your remote. But if you unplug the TV, then you have disabled it. The remote won't work at all unless you enable the TV by plugging it back in.

A Hub scene is always enabled. Turning off the scene does not disable the scene. The Motion Sensor can still turn the scene off and on.

Comment

I know you are trying to help - but things are far from clear. I am not looking to disable the scene, but if the purpose of the scene is to turn a switch on and I subsequently turn the scene off, then logically the scene should not continue operating by turning on the switch. Your statement "Motion Sensor can still turn the scene off and on" implies that I can turn off the scene. Calling up the scene on the app, selecting it and pressing the Off button does nothing. In your analogy - if I turn off the TV, then the remote to change the channel does nothing. When I turn Off the scene, I expect it to do nothing; but it continues to operate the light.

Comment

Insteon devices can be the controller of a scene or a responder to the scene. Some Insteon devices can be both a controller and a responder. The same scene can have more that one controller and, also, more than one responder.

In your scene there are two controllers, the Motion Sensor and the Hub. The SwitchLinc is the only responder. It's like having a 3-way configuration where two different switches can turn the same light on and off. Turning the light off from one location doesn't stop you from turning the light on from the other location.

In you case, you can turn the SwitchLinc on and off from the Hub or from the Motion Sensor. If the Motion Sensor turns the light off, then you can still use the Hub to turn the light on. If you use the Hub to turn the light off, then the Motion Sensor can still turn the light on.

Comment

I understand I can turn things off & on via the app controlling the hub.

Maybe could you just confirm the following states way it is designed to work - from the app, turning the scene OFF does nothing? It doesn't turn anything off. If that is the way it is designed to work - it makes no sense.

Earlier in this chat session you stated that I can turn the scene on or off, but I cannot disable the scene. Well I see no way to turn the scene off. The off function does nothing.

Thanks for putting up with my questions, but this is very frustrating.

Comment

Ok - still seems strange that turning the scene OFF does nothing. But maybe I can get things working the way I want using your idea of a battery eliminator.

I tried another option. With my scene setup as it is now with the motion sensor (controller) tied to the lamp switch (responder) in the scene, I tried to set the Scene up on a schedule, with an On time and an Off time. Again, my expectation was that when the schedule turned the scene off, the motion sensor would not activate the light - since it was not within the schedule. Sadly, nothing changes. The motion sensor still activates the light even though it is not within the scheduled time.

Now for another option; does the following make sense and do you guys think this will work.

My goal is to have a mini-remote that has one of the buttons setup to turn on one of the insteon lamp/link switches.
                    To that lamp/link switch, I will have the camera and motion sensor attached - so when the mini remote button is pushed, the camera and motion sensor would be powered.
                    The motion sensor will be setup to an additional lamp/link switch so that when motion is seen, this second lamp/link switch turns on the lights/lamp.

Would that do it?

Thanks

Comment

Turning a scene on or off does not disable the scene. Turning a scene on or off turns the responders on or off. If the responder is off, then turning off the scene won't do anything. If the responder is on, then turning off the scene will turn the responder off.

You cannot power the camera nor the Motion Sensor using a LampLinc. If you do, then you may burn out the power adapter. You should use an On/Off Module, 2635-222.

Comment

Ok, I understand the scene off thing now.

But regarding the Lamplinc in my possible solution above, if I use the motion sensor to turn the lamplinc on at 100%, then it should easily power the camera's power supply, which is rated at .5 amps and a 9v power supply which may only pull 100ma to 200ma. Why wouldn't that work? Worst case I guess I could buy an insteon on/off switch, but I hate to spend another $50.

Comment

A LampLinc uses TRIACs to achieve dimming. Even at 100% the sine wave is clipped. That clipping can stress the windings on the power adapter.

Even if you find that it works at first, the stress will take it's toll over time. You may destroy the power adapter, the LampLinc or both. Replacing the LampLinc will cost $50. Add about another $10-$15 for the power adapter.

An On/Off Module, not SwitchLinc, is the appropriate device.

Comment

Based upon all of the information you have provided above, I'm assuming that all insteon modules work the same way. So, if I setup a door sensor to send me a text message, then I assume I could not setup a mini remote button to disable that sensor while I was at home and then press another button when I leave to enables the door sensor. Is that a correct assumption?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                            X