Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Construction Topology Assistance (review requested)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Construction Topology Assistance (review requested)

Hi,

I'm new to the Insteon world of products, so any assistance regarding the circuitry schematic and overall topology I've designed is much appreciated.

You can view the topology at http://gyazo.com/bc562866b7f7e7872aa2c6883bbb9fd0 (or the attached image).

The basis and overview for the installation is to have segmented control over the various types of can lights (wall wash, task, and room flood) for the two main rooms (office and lounge). Then have general dimmer control over room lights for the subsidiary rooms.

I tried to factor in using dimmer switches and keypads in-place of in-line wired dimmers where available. All can lights will use low-amp LED's.

One thing I beleive I will redo at some point (perhaps now) are the functions on the keypads (right now, the labels show controlling the areas alone -- however, I may want to create preconfigured scenes like [conference, workload, etc]). I'd also like to configure each of these from the computer as opposed to using hardware; so if there are any special considerations I need to accomplish that, please let me know.

I've actually already ordered quite a few items from Smarthome (see below).
    Insteon 2245-222 Hub
    2245-222 Ordered: 1
    In-LineLinc Dimmer (4 Pack)
    2475DA1-4PK Ordered: 1
    SwitchLinc Dimmer - INSTEON 2477D Remote Control Dimmer (Dual-Band), White
    2477D Ordered: 7
    INSTEON 2334-222 Keypad Dimmer Switch (Dual-Band), 8-Button, White
    2334-222 Ordered: 3
    KeypadLinc - INSTEON 2487S 6-Button Scene Control Keypad with On/Off Switch (Dual-Band), White
    2487S Ordered: 2
    INSTEON 2422-232 Screwless Wall Plate - Double Gang, White
    2422-232 Ordered: 4
    INSTEON 2422-222 Screwless Wall Plate - Single Gang, White
    2422-222 Ordered: 4
    INSTEON 2401C6 Custom-Etched 6-Button Set for KeypadLinc

BUTTON A - LINE 1 PATIO LIGHTS BUTTON A - LINE 2 ON BUTTON B - LINE 1 OFFICE BUTTON B - LINE 2 WALLS BUTTON C - LINE 1 OFFICE BUTTON C - LINE 2 DESK BUTTON D - LINE 1 OFFICE BUTTON D - LINE 2 ROOM BUTTON E - LINE 1 OFFICE BUTTON E - LINE 2 ALL BUTTON F - LINE 1 PATIO LIGHTS BUTTON F - LINE 2 OFF COLOR WHITE
    2401C6 Ordered: 1
    INSTEON 2401C6 Custom-Etched 6-Button Set for KeypadLinc

BUTTON A - LINE 1 ENTRY BUTTON A - LINE 2 ON BUTTON B - LINE 1 LOUNGE BUTTON B - LINE 2 WALL BUTTON C - LINE 1 LOUNGE BUTTON C - LINE 2 ROOM BUTTON D - LINE 1 OFFICE BUTTON D - LINE 2 ROOM BUTTON E - LINE 1 HALLWAY BUTTON E - LINE 2 LIGHTS BUTTON F - LINE 1 ENTRY BUTTON F - LINE 2 OFF COLOR WHITE
    2401C6 Ordered: 1
    INSTEON 2401C8 Custom-Etched 8-Button Set for KeypadLinc

BUTTON A - LINE 1 OFFICE BUTTON A - LINE 2 WALL BUTTON B - LINE 1 LOUNGE BUTTON B - LINE 2 WALL BUTTON C - LINE 1 OFFICE BUTTON C - LINE 2 DESK BUTTON D - LINE 1 LOUNGE BUTTON D - LINE 2 ROOM BUTTON E - LINE 1 OFFICE BUTTON E - LINE 2 ROOM BUTTON F - LINE 1 HALLWAY BUTTON F - LINE 2 LIGHTS BUTTON G - LINE 1 KITCHEN BUTTON G - LINE 2 LIGHTS BUTTON H - LINE 1 HALLWAY BUTTON H - LINE 2 WALL COLOR WHITE
    2401C8 Ordered: 3
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

If you intend to use the Hub, then the only computer choice is Windows. Otherwise, you'll need an iOS or Android device.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Okay, great. Does anything else standout as needing attention? Or anything you would do differently?

Overall do you think the equipment I got will function well together?

Comment

Nothing to recommend. I don't know the use/purpose of the rooms nor lighting nor even why some devices are dimmers and some are not nor your intended use of the Hub nor anything else other than automating the lighting.

Insteon devices are designed to function cooperatively. Also, except the Hub, none of the devices on your list are wireless as stated in the topology.
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.

Comment

Originally posted by stusviews View Post
          Nothing to recommend. I don't know the use/purpose of the rooms nor lighting nor even why some devices are dimmers and some are not nor your intended use of the Hub nor anything else other than automating the lighting.

Insteon devices are designed to function cooperatively. Also, except the Hub, none of the devices on your list are wireless as stated in the topology.
          The intended use is to only control the on/off and dimming features of circuits, and to create pre-configured scenes that can be invoked on-demand to create certain experiences. As for the dimmers vs. on/off devices, I should only require two on/off devices to control the outside lights (non-dimmable).

Also, correct me if I'm wrong -- but I thought "dual-band" indicated the devices would transmit invocation signals via RF (which is what I was considering wireless), as well as the capability to send over power-line. My terminology for "wireless" on the schematic was merely to indicate there was not a need for a data transmission or dedicated trigger "wire" between devices.

Comment

No Insteon device requires a "dedicated wire" between the controller and responder, not even powerline only devices.

Comment

Working...
            X