Microwave interfering with Insteon communications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Microwave interfering with Insteon communications

I recently had to replace my microwave as my other one went bad. Ever since getting the new one, the reliability of the Insteon network has really gone downhill. For an example, I can instruct a device to turn on or off and it may or may not do so until after 2 to 5 tries. Sometimes the response is delayed, while other times, it may not work at all. I have already determined it is definitely the microwave that is the culprit. As soon as I unplug the microwave, the problem disappears. Keep in mind, the microwave is not in use when the problem exists, it's just plugged in and in standby. The main difference between my new microwave and the old one is that the new one is an inverter style (Panasonic), unlike my old one (LG). Getting another new microwave is pretty much out of the equation, so I am on a quest to finding a workaround.

Does anybody know if there is some sort of device available that can make the Insteon signal more reliable, all while leaving the microwave plugged in? I already have two access points installed that tether the 2 power phases together as well as several dual-band devices. I'm hoping there might be some kind of filter I could plug in-line with the microwave that can help diminish the interference it is putting out. However, that's where I am at a loss as I don't know if such device exists. Any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated!
    Hub II v5683 - 1F:66:7E
    Samsung Galaxy S4 Android v4.4.2 - Insteon App v1.7.3 (171)

The power supply in the new Microwave is either making power line noise or absorbing the power line signals.
    My thoughts are absorbing. As many manufacturers add a AC rated capacitor directly across the power line. Cheap part to use and it does absorb its electronics noise. Bad effect the capacitor also absorbs Insteon commands.

A power line filter designed for Insteon or X10 should work. On the microwaves AC power connection.
    Problem maybe the amount of current the microwave draws form the power lines and maybe the short start up surge.

Is there a ratings label on it with specifications?
    Both ACT and JV Digital Engineering make a fifteen amp X10 power line filter.
    I believe both have a slow blow fuse in them for the start up surge that may happen.
    Last edited by BLH; 12-07-2014, 04:20 PM.

Comment

I do know that this microwave doesn't have the "start up surge" that most microwaves have, due to the inverter inside. Instead, it gradually raises the power output to eliminate that issue. With that in mind, I'm hoping I should be safe to try out the filter you mention. However, I will be sure to read the specs to make sure it can handle the wattage it consumes.

Thanks for the info!

Comment

The ACT AF120 maybe easier to find than the XTB-F15. As JV Digital Engineering only sells on their web site. Though their stuff is great. Their X10 Repeater is one of the few that respects Insteon power line signals.

Comment

My microwave has a maximum output of 1,250 watts. That would put me over the limit of the 10 amp Insteon filter. The ACT 15 amp version looks like it should be well within the range. I found the ACT AF120 on the Smarthome website, but it doesn't say anything in regards to being Insteon compatible. However, you state it is Insteon compatible, correct? Just want to confirm before making the purchase.

http://www.smarthome.com/act-af120-1...se-filter.html

Thank you!

Comment

The ACT filter is Insteon compatible. In fact, I have several in use and they are effective.
            Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
            Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Working...
            X