Trouble with Locating Hub (2012) and Port Forwarding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trouble with Locating Hub (2012) and Port Forwarding

Hello. My in-laws have an older 2012 Insteon Hub and recently upgraded their home internet and router. I have been able to get the old Hub to re connect to the new router but I have been unsuccessful in getting the Port Forwarding set up in order to control the lights when they are away (and make sure the lights have been turned off).

I have the IP Address and user and PW info for the router (looks to be a Caix 854G ?) and I am able to get into the router and found the IP address of the Hub. However, when I enter the IP Address of the Hub into a web browser, it cannot connect. Based on the guides I have found, it looks like I need to be able to get into the Hub and change the IP address and Port to a fixed IP address and Port so I can then go into the Port forwarding on the router and open the port to allow access to the Hub.

My problems are: While I can find the IP Address of the Hub, I can't find the Port.

When I try to access the Hub by typing in its IP address in a web browser, I can't access it. - Not sure then how to change its IP address to a fixed IP address. Can I / do I have to do that in the router's 'Advanced' / IP Addressing / DHCP Reservation" tab? (I assume I first need to set a fixed IP and Port for the Hub in order to then do the port forwarding.)

Apologies if these are all very basic questions. Trying to figure all of this out.

Thx in advance for any assistance.

The Hub was probably set to static and the new router most likely uses a different address scheme. The Hub just needs to be allowed to conform to the new router via a network reset, or reenabling the Hubs DHCP mechanism)

Network Reset:
    • With the Insteon Hub powered on, press and hold the set button until the Hub beeps
    • Slowly tap the set button six (6x) times
    • Unplug Insteon Hub and wait for about 30 seconds
    • Reconnect power to the Insteon Hub

Then:

On a computer browser go to: http://connect.insteon.com/getinfo.asp

This will get you the Hubs current IP address and port number. (don't bother clicking on anything right now) Write this info down.

Login to your router

Locate the Port Forward section of the router:
    • Click on "Add New" / "Create" buttons to create a new port forwarding rule on Calix Router
    • Application name / Description: Enter the name of the program. Eg. Hub Note: This is only for your reference.
    • Enter the ip address of the Hub
    • Enter the port to forward. Usually 25105. This number is follows the Ip address after the colon ':' (Enter the same port if you have a range)
    • Choose TCP / UDP, or both. If only one option use TCP
    • If you see a field called “External IP addresses“ enter 0.0.0.0 in it (wild card, meaning it accepts incoming connections from all external IPs)
    • Be sure “Enable” Checkbox is selected if available on the Router
    • Click on Save when you are finished

You can then go to: www.canyouseeme.org, and enter the port number and see if it is open.

To make the Ip address static, you can either: login to the app, while on Wi-Fi, go to settings, house, scroll down and uncheck the DHCP option. (Do not do this remotely)

Or,

You can log back into your router, locate DHCP reservations, and enter the same IP address the Hub currently has.

Comment

Thx. I had previously set it up for port forwarding several years ago ( I know I used to have port forwarding working previously but then it stopped). I will check out this info. Thanks very much for the fulsome and detailed response.

Comment

Still having the same issue I was having before which is when I enter the get info.asp I receive an error message that says “sorry cannot find a hub on your network…please power cycle your hub and try again”.

Comment

Should probably focus on the network reset then. Did you say you saw the Ip address in Calix router? Does it match the other IP's? Meaning they are all 192.1.x.x, or 10.0.x.x, etc.., addresses?

Comment

Thanks for your help. It turned out that when I had previously set up port forwarding on the older router, I obviously must have set a static IP for the insteon hub, and I had the IP address of it and was able to locate the port (yes, 25105). So really all I had to do was to access the router, and open the ports on 25105 for the Hub and it works! Thx very much.

Comment

Working...
            X