No announcement yet.

Is Insteon still a safe bet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insteon devices with an ISY-994i controller has been a rock solid solution for me for decades. I've recently upgraded a few of my older switches, but I got concerned when investigating why devices are hard to find. At first, I assumed slow inventory due to the pandemic; however, with a little research, I find fundamental components (dimmer switches, micro dimmers, filters) not only out of stock, but possibly discontinued. It would be reassuring to hear from Insteon leadership in early 2021 on future plans and perhaps have an "official" list of devices they plan to continue to produce vs. discontinue.

I've done a little research and it's hard to find another platform that provides the reliability and flexibility/programmability/affordability of Insteon. Personally, I would love to see Insteon double down on producing reliable mesh devices (hardware) and get out of the hub/software business, partnering with commercial & open source communities to provide software leveraging APIs to their hardware. I'm very happy with the reliability of the ISY-994i and enjoy integration with Alexa, etc. without any need for an Insteon-branded Hub. But it's all moot if Insteon goes under or stops producing fundamental components.

Here's hoping Insteon finds a way to come out stronger with more productive decades ahead (including future iterations of dimmer switches, micro dimmers, filters, etc.).

Comment

Maybe we can't get any devices because Vodafone bought them all... https://www.thepeninsulaqatar.com/ar...e-Starter-Kits

Comment

Originally posted by lilyoyo1 View Post
        Yes it is. They have a new product line coming out (devices have been submitted to fcc and others for certification).
        According to this website it looks like they they did submit some new devices last year... https://fccid.io/SBP

There are actually multiple "SmartLabs" companies listed on this site but I think the SmartLabs, Inc is the correct one.

You can use this link if you want to search the actual FCC website. https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repor...ericSearch.cfm

Search for "SmartLabs, Inc." and then you can sort the results by date.

Of course none of this means anything if they don't actually produce more products.

Comment

Anyone have an update on if/when Insteon's inventory will be replenished?

Comment

Originally posted by jnocerino View Post
            Anyone have an update on if/when Insteon's inventory will be replenished?
            No. Even if something comes in, depending on qty, it can go fast regardless. If there is something specific that you want, you're better off asking to be notified when it comes back in stock.

Comment

Recently I decided to make a little upgrade in my home, and while I was at it, I replaced pretty much all the lighting. This is not as easy as it sounds. There are a ton of choices out there when it comes to lights, but there are even more questions that go along with those choices. How bright should they be?

What color temperature? How many watts? Do I need dimmers? Can I use LEDs and still have enough light? What if we want to change the colors of the lights later on? Will they be programmable? Can I integrate them with other devices in my home automation system?

As you can see, even picking out some lights can be quite a chore. And that's not even considering all the different vendors and stores you can get them from. It was definitely overwhelming for me at first. But then I started looking into Insteon. That's when things got interesting.

Comment

I will buy new or used Insteon switches/dimmers/thermostats/USB PLMs. jeffmartin999666@gmail.com

Comment

Yes it is. They have a new product line coming out (devices have been submitted to fcc and others for certification). Since covid, MANY companies are short on products. Leviton was supposed to release multiple series 700 devices earlier this year but with the shutdown and everything else, they were pushed back. Go to any store such as Best buy, home depot, and Lowe's. You'll see many items out of stock. It's the nature of 2020.

What big names are eating their lunch?
                  Insteon was short on products long before covid. Don't be fooled by that excuse. How are they going to introduce new products when they can't supply the products they already have?

Comment

I also was looking to order some micro switch modules and a keypad only later to learn that they have been discontinued. Is there a competitive alternative product? The inwall switches won't work for what I want to do. I agree that if they have been discontinued, they should be removed from the website.

Comment

I'm wondering the same thing - what do I do with my house?

I seem to blow a switch after 5 years. Two of my Insteon Timer V2 switches just went last week. I went to the Smarthome site, and they all say "Sold Out".

I must have a pile of about ten, maybe fifteen switches that are dead. All just outside the warranty as near as I can tell.

I'm SO tired of this, really tempted to rip it all out, but I like the uniformity of the switches.

What's everyone else going to, or will Insteon eventually start producing switches again?

== John ==

Comment

Originally posted by cnwilson100 View Post

Insteon was short on products long before covid. Don't be fooled by that excuse. How are they going to introduce new products when they can't supply the products they already have?
                        You're responding to something 16 months old. It's time to move on

Comment

Originally posted by jgwinner View Post
                          I'm wondering the same thing - what do I do with my house?

I seem to blow a switch after 5 years. Two of my Insteon Timer V2 switches just went last week. I went to the Smarthome site, and they all say "Sold Out".

I must have a pile of about ten, maybe fifteen switches that are dead. All just outside the warranty as near as I can tell.

I'm SO tired of this, really tempted to rip it all out, but I like the uniformity of the switches.

What's everyone else going to, or will Insteon eventually start producing switches again?

== John ==
                          They haven't made that timer switch in over 8 years. They have been producing switches but unfortunately not enough to keep up with demand (just like a whole lot of companies).

Comment

We’ve had a long discussion about this topic here, https://forum.insteon.com/forum/main...lighting/page2

Share Science - Share Knowledge - Share Kindness

Comment

They haven't made that timer switch in over 8 years.
                              I mean, that's true obviously, but what's your point?

Should I throw away all my timers?

Should I expect switches to only last 8 years?

Should I budget several hundred dollars a year, minimum, for switch replacements?

Is there another kind of switch that would have a lower total cost of ownership?

These are important questions as I work for a home building company, who will be mass producing homes. I can suggest Insteon or we can go with someone more reliable. I am not joking.

== John ==

Comment

Originally posted by jgwinner View Post

I mean, that's true obviously, but what's your point?

Should I throw away all my timers?

Should I expect switches to only last 8 years?

Should I budget several hundred dollars a year, minimum, for switch replacements?

Is there another kind of switch that would have a lower total cost of ownership?

These are important questions as I work for a home building company, who will be mass producing homes. I can suggest Insteon or we can go with someone more reliable. I am not joking.

== John ==
                                You're the one complaining that you went to the smarthome website and the timer switch wasnt there. My point was that technology changes. You're complaining about something thats been disco'd for over 8 years as if they need to continue to make something that is no longer necessary. Use better software such as the ISY994 and you can replace your timer with a kpl and have the same function.

Why would you throw something away thats working and you use? There are alternatives to make a timer switch if thats what you need. As I said before, the right software can allow you to create your own timer.

In regards to a switch lasting more than 8 years. Who's to say!? Some last longer and some last less. Last time I checked, cars, phones, and many other things tend to go bad within 8 years so while it would be nice to last longer, it can fail.

Yes, you should budget for switch replacements regardless of what you use. Im assuming you're a homeowner. Do you not budget for home repair/maintenance should something go wrong? If thats not something you want to do, then standard dummy switches are probably better suited for you.

No, there are no other switches with a lower cost of ownership. You'll either pay upfront for longevity or you'll pay down the road for repairing. For example, there are many Lutron Radio Ra systems still working 15-20 years later. At approximately 250 bucks per switch the higher upfront costs makes an installation approximately 5 times that of an insteon switch. Standard DIY devices are cheaper for a reason. That lower cost does come with some tradeoffs unfortunately.

I have a Home automation company myself. I used to install insteon but now install C4. With Radio Ra3 now available, I will be installing that in homes that do not require AV setup as it allows for a lower entry level cost and can be added to C4 at a later date should the homeowner choose to upgrade. Zwave is another low cost alternative to insteon. However, the setup of zwave to duplicate what insteon does is greater so where you can potentially save on money, you'll make it up in time spent on programming

Comment

Working...
                                X