Is Insteon still a safe bet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Insteon still a safe bet?

Is Insteon a viable future solution? No communication. No announcements. No new products. Half done software. Should we all bail?

I have a huge investment in Insteon switches, outlets, wall plugs, hub, etc. not to mention time invested in making it all work.

But the last couple years there has been no new innovation (except the half-done app) and switches are harder than ever to find in stock.

Is this thing even alive anymore? Their lunch is getting eaten by some pretty big names.

Yes it is. They have a new product line coming out (devices have been submitted to fcc and others for certification). Since covid, MANY companies are short on products. Leviton was supposed to release multiple series 700 devices earlier this year but with the shutdown and everything else, they were pushed back. Go to any store such as Best buy, home depot, and Lowe's. You'll see many items out of stock. It's the nature of 2020.

What big names are eating their lunch?

Comment

Samsung. D-Link. TP-Link. GE. Leviton. Belkin.

Just to name a few. It's hard to keep investing in products with no information.

Comment

I agree about the communication. I have been waiting for Micro On/Off switch adapters to come back in stock for quite a while. I finally called Customer Service who told me they are discontinued. The website has just been showing "sold out". If they are discontinued, the website should say that so we can try to come up withe another option. I'm concerned as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Cardsharp View Post
          Samsung. D-Link. TP-Link. GE. Leviton. Belkin.

Just to name a few. It's hard to keep investing in products with no information.
          So you're comparing a company that's worth millions to companies that are worth billions? Have you seen the sales record for any of those companies and their HA lines? Outside of Samsung (Smartthings hub) how many comparable automation products do you see from those other companies in people's homes?

In comparing similar device lines, only GE probably sells a similar to higher volume than insteon.

Samsung has market due to putting it's stuff in everything but most people do not use samsung HA devices. They'll use 3rd party devices with the Smartthings hub.
          W
          leviton has zwave devices, they aren't the biggest in that market. Even their own ha line UPB Is hard to find nowadays and used only by the most diehard fans. They appear to be bigger in HA only because they make so many device types such as job, zigbee, and zwave. Jack of all trades but master of none. Great products but not a heavy hitter.

Belkin and the rest aren't even real HA products. They simply make smart products that fulfills a niche market. If you want to control 2 or 3 things they're fine. However they are not whole house solutions.

Comment

It appears to me Insteon is still afloat! The new app now controls my 220V switches, which originally did not, so there is progress. Still waiting for I/O linc functionality. I too have a sizable investment, so I am staying aboard.

Comment

I am in a holding pattern.
              I will see what eventually happens. I suspect some delays are from the Covid19 shutdowns and maybe China changes.

Comment

Without Native HomeKit Support (the Hub-Pro does nothing count since it really sucks bad), I am
                done with Insteon. I like their products, their support and the community but there’s nothing to beat Apples privacy approach with HomeKit which nobody has completely replicated. I will use some of the Insteon products until they die but all my new devices - smart plugs, cameras, sensors etc are all HomeKit. I am paying Amazon $140/year just for Alexa support for Insteon - if it HomeKit and Siri, I would have dropped Amazon long time ago.

Comment

Originally posted by lilyoyo1 View Post

So you're comparing a company that's worth millions to companies that are worth billions? Have you seen the sales record for any of those companies and their HA lines? Outside of Samsung (Smartthings hub) how many comparable automation products do you see from those other companies in people's homes?

In comparing similar device lines, only GE probably sells a similar to higher volume than insteon.

Samsung has market due to putting it's stuff in everything but most people do not use samsung HA devices. They'll use 3rd party devices with the Smartthings hub.
                  W
                  leviton has zwave devices, they aren't the biggest in that market. Even their own ha line UPB Is hard to find nowadays and used only by the most diehard fans. They appear to be bigger in HA only because they make so many device types such as job, zigbee, and zwave. Jack of all trades but master of none. Great products but not a heavy hitter.

Belkin and the rest aren't even real HA products. They simply make smart products that fulfills a niche market. If you want to control 2 or 3 things they're fine. However they are not whole house solutions.
                  I'm not saying one product is better than the other. What I AM saying is that without products in stock and with no information available for years about where they are going they will continue to lose market share to larger competitors. It would be nice to even know they intend to compete and with what. Even the new app is 1/2 done. It doesn't support some of my devices (like the thermostat). Does that mean they will discontinue it? Who knows?

They were purchased by a PE firm, who are notorious for buying companies and parting them out. It feels a lot like this is the case and with no information available and no response from the company, it's hard to keep buying products and services.

Comment

Originally posted by vino View Post
                    Without Native HomeKit Support (the Hub-Pro does nothing count since it really sucks bad), I am
                    done with Insteon. I like their products, their support and the community but there’s nothing to beat Apples privacy approach with HomeKit which nobody has completely replicated. I will use some of the Insteon products until they die but all my new devices - smart plugs, cameras, sensors etc are all HomeKit. I am paying Amazon $140/year just for Alexa support for Insteon - if it HomeKit and Siri, I would have dropped Amazon long time ago.
                    How and why are you paying amazon 140 bucks a year for something that is free?

Comment

Anyone notice you can't even buy a 3-wire Insteon dimmer anymore? That's pretty much a basic staple product. It's not available on Amazon or on Smarthome.com. That is a little weird. I'll panic a little less when products that feel discontinued actually start shipping again. It really feels like "sell off the old inventory." Would anyone who works at Insteon care to comment? Companies generally have some kind of person responding to their forums... unless it's irrelevant to them.

Comment

Anyone notice you can't even buy a 3-wire Insteon dimmer anymore? That's pretty much a basic staple product. It's not available on Amazon or on Smarthome.com. That is a little weird. I'll panic a little less when products that feel discontinued actually start shipping again. It really feels like "sell off the old inventory." Would anyone who works at Insteon care to comment? Companies generally have some kind of person responding to their forums... unless it's irrelevant to them.
                        Ive noticed alot of products from many different vendors in and out of stock often since Covid. With outbreaks all over the world, factories and shipping has been effected greatly. It would be nice if insteon would open up more about their plans and upcoming releases so all this talk can end. In the meantime, items being out of stock should not come as a surprise due to all the different sales and the impact covid has had on all industries as a whole.

Comment

I can’t access the app anymore since I got a new iPhone. Basically, I’ve been told I’m screwed since it wasn’t on my list for beta equipment. I thought you could access online and do it that way. I can login but everything just spins and not option to edit. HELP!
                          iPhone4s - iOS 7.1.2
                          iPhone3 - "remote" IOS 6.1.6
                          iPod
                          Android tablet Version 4.0.4
                          Hub II: 1F.66.64
                          Firmware: 5679
                          Bin: Hub2-V04-20140904
                          PLM: 9D

2 ip cameras
                          2 smoke detectors w/ smoke bridge
                          1 Motion sensor
                          3 keypad
                          3 outlet
                          4 wall switches
                          1 garage door open close sensor

Comment

Is Insteon a viable future solution? No communication. No announcements. No new products. Half done software. Should we all bail?

I have a huge investment in Insteon switches, outlets, wall plugs, hub, etc. not to mention time invested in making it all work.

But the last couple years there has been no new innovation (except the half-done app) and switches are harder than ever to find in stock.

Is this thing even alive anymore? Their lunch is getting eaten by some pretty big names.
                            Honestly, with all the issues I've had over the last year, I'm going to say Insteon is not a good bet.

Comment

If I were just starting out to equip my home, I would probably go with another vendor. No press releases in 3 years, no new product development, no software development (save a long-touted app update that has proven to be buggier than a drainage swap in a rain forest), no news of any kind, and no product to sell. This company likely has one or more of 2 problems- Either they have a completely incompetent ceo or they are broke, or both. Since they have no product to sell, how long can they last with no revenue? Their situation reminds me a lot of the death of Sears. I like the product, mostly, but I'm afraid they will not be around much longer.
                              Last edited by cnwilson100; 12-01-2020, 09:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X