How many switches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many switches

So I'm using insteon switches. I need to buy a switch for every light I want to control and then possibly tie into my control system? Wow that could be a lot.of.switches. 5 br, kitchen , DR,LR, outside lights, hallway etc. Etc. Could be 20.switches especially when. Using a few 3 ways

Yes a Insteon Switch in every location you want to control. Including one at every three way position.
    A few things you may want to look at. You need Line and Neutral power in every location. Along with the Load connection.
    Three ways you may have to reuse a traveler wire between them to get power to both locations. Make sure you have a Neutral power connection in the locations.
    Some used a switch loop where there is no Neutral at the switches location the Load and Line where connected when the switch was On and the lights Neutral was inside the light fixture.

There are some ways to put a micro module inside the light itself for one way to over come a switch loop.

Comment

Originally posted by BLH View Post
      Yes a Insteon Switch in every location you want to control. Including one at every three way position.
      A few things you may want to look at. You need Line and Neutral power in every location. Along with the Load connection.
      Three ways you may have to reuse a traveler wire between them to get power to both locations. Make sure you have a Neutral power connection in the locations.
      Some used a switch loop where there is no Neutral at the switches location the Load and Line where connected when the switch was On and the lights Neutral was inside the light fixture.

There are some ways to put a micro module inside the light itself for one way to over come a switch loop.
      Thank you so much! Now everything it's clear!
      Last edited by lacyarteaga; 11-24-2020, 12:33 AM.

Comment

Try replacing one of the switches with a two wire and the others with mini-key pads mounted in Leviton blanks.

Comment

Just keep this in mind.
          The two wire SwitchLinc steals power through the Load. So it has to be an Incandescent load. It is Insteon RF only no power line communications.

Comment

Originally posted by mstrlucky74 View Post
            So I'm using insteon switches. I need to buy a switch for every light I want to control and then possibly tie into my control system? Wow that could be a lot.of.switches. 5 br, kitchen , DR,LR, outside lights, hallway etc. Etc. Could be 20.switches especially when. Using a few 3 ways
            Yes, that's correct. Insteon switches are designed to replace your existing light switches and provide remote control over your lights. To control multiple lights, you will need to purchase a switch for each light you wish to control. If you have multiple lights in a room that are controlled by a single switch, you can use a multi-button switch or keypad to control all of them from a single location.
            Last edited by INSTEON John; 07-29-2023, 03:11 PM. Reason: Erased hidden code linked to a non-relevant web site like spam

Comment

Working...
            X