How many switches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many switches

So I'm using insteon switches. I need to buy a switch for every light I want to control and then possibly tie into my control system? Wow that could be a lot.of.switches. 5 br, kitchen , DR,LR, outside lights, hallway etc. Etc. Could be 20.switches especially when. Using a few 3 ways

Yes a Insteon Switch in every location you want to control. Including one at every three way position.
    A few things you may want to look at. You need Line and Neutral power in every location. Along with the Load connection.
    Three ways you may have to reuse a traveler wire between them to get power to both locations. Make sure you have a Neutral power connection in the locations.
    Some used a switch loop where there is no Neutral at the switches location the Load and Line where connected when the switch was On and the lights Neutral was inside the light fixture.

There are some ways to put a micro module inside the light itself for one way to over come a switch loop.

Comment

My house is 86 years young so I use mostly two-wire switches . My solution for three way (and four way for that matter) switches is to replace one of the switches with a two wire and the other(s) with mini-key pads mounted in Leviton blanks.
      Last edited by PJL; 08-30-2020, 05:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BLH View Post
        Yes a Insteon Switch in every location you want to control. Including one at every three way position.
        A few things you may want to look at. You need Line and Neutral power in every location. Along with the Load connection.
        Three ways you may have to reuse a traveler wire between them to get power to both locations. Make sure you have a Neutral power connection in the locations.
        Some used a switch loop where there is no Neutral at the switches location the Load and Line where connected when the switch was On and the lights Neutral was inside the light fixture.

There are some ways to put a micro module inside the light itself for one way to over come a switch loop.
        Thank you so much! Now everything it's clear!

Comment

Working...
        X