Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy with Insteon?

Hey All,

Are you guys happy with your Insteon products and reliability/support?

If you had to do things all over again, would you choose Insteon again or would you choose a different technology like Z-Wave etc?

TIA.

I use insteon and zwave. Both have pros and cons. For lighting, I would do Insteon and for sensors other other stuff like locks, ai would do zwave

Comment

Originally posted by lilyoyo1 View Post
      I use insteon and zwave. Both have pros and cons. For lighting, I would do Insteon and for sensors other other stuff like locks, ai would do zwave
      Why did you go with Insteon lighting over zwave?

Comment

Not sure if I would go with Insteon if I was designing a new installation.

They keep indicating new devices are in the works but that seems to be a real long time now.

I went from X10 to Insteon as the modules use to also support X10. With an ISY994i I am mostly happy.

There was some poor communications between Smartlabs and UDI for the needed information for their Siren Modules and latest Motion Sensors.

Now if I was using sensors it maybe different. The Insteon sensors just don't impress me and could understand some using both Z-wave and Insteon.

Comment

Originally posted by RedRocket View Post

Why did you go with Insteon lighting over zwave?
          Too many caveats with zwave. Different devices support different attributes which is a headache. Once you know what you are doing/buying, you can settle on 1 switch type but alot of research must go into buying a simple switch. With insteon everything is the same.

The main 2 reasons (they are huge for me) is that zwave devices depend completely on a hub to work. Sure, they will work locally but all linked devices are controlled via the hub. Some devices can be directly linked to another device but all devices must support the same association to accomplish that (caveats). Even then, this is limited to 4 devices. In most cases, the controller will not be aware of the state those linked devices are if the controller turns them on. With insteon, linked devices works outside of the controller. This means your system is somewhat usable should something happen to your controller. In addition, all devices send their status regardless of how controlled.

My second major reason is zwave has what is called a popcorn effect. Unlike insteon which work in sync; with zwave, if you turn multiple devices on/off at the same time, they turn on/off 1 at a time in no particular order.

There are other differences such as ease of use, the ease of creating dynamic lighting scenes such as different ramp rates and dim levels.

Insteon is simply more robust and configurable than zwave.

Comment

Thanks very much for your feedback.

Comment

Working...
            X