Hubs last ONLY three years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hubs last ONLY three years

Hello thought Id post this because this is my 3rd hub? These things Only last three years on average My first one lasted a little long but my third one died today???
    i only run a total of 15 devices home wide with the alexa app
    what a pain!!!

I have been installing Insteon devices for over 15 years and yes most everything they produce has a useful working life of 3 years.

Comment

I have been using Insteon from almost day one. There are a few select products that have had less then desirable results over the years but in the last 7 or 8 years I don't think I have had a device fail. One of frustrating issues is when a hub goes out. All the other devices in the home may work fine but with the hub not working the narrative is usually "Nothing Works" when that isn't the case

In my capacity as an installer I would get customers that might tell me "nothing works" when in fact one of their 36 devices stopped working because of noise on the powerline or failed as a result of an electrical storm.

The part of the country has a lot to do with the frequency of PLM and Hub failures in the past. I do believe both the PLM and Hubs have seen component updates in the last couple of years that have made them more robust.

I do know that Insteon was repairing the hubs for free but with the current environment of people working from home i'm not sure if that is happening.

Comment

I know the 2413S PLM Revision 2.5. Has had some improvements. Powers supply that was an issue has improved components in it. New serial port daughter board with an improved serial chip and some signal protection on the serial signals to the outside world.

Comment

50+ Insteon devices without a failure in over 5 years, including my Hub. Agreed the early devices were problematic. But the newer stuff is much better. As for the software and customer support? Another story entirely.

Comment

Of course whole house surge protection is key to longevity.

Comment

Working...
            X