Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fixing broken links in INSTEON devices

Hello folks,

I have had Insteon devices for more than 10 years. I now have around 35 devices in total. And I have had some issues for awhile now, and I'm thinking they are starting to interfere with things I want do to.

On several lights switches, I notice that when I turn off a switch, after a few seconds, the switch LED's will blink red quite a few times. I've read this means I have broken links from devices I no longer have. Well, over the course of this 10+ years, there have sure been some failures of several switches, some failed Fanlincs, and I've had a total of three Insteon Hubs now.

I have considered doing a whole house factory reset of all devices and starting from scratch. But I'm sure you can appreciate how difficult and tedious that would be!

I have found some Python scripts on the internet that I would consider, except they are programmed to run on Linux, which I don't have.

What other options do I have? I'm very surprised Insteon doesn't have something (like the old HouseLinc IIRC) that would discover broken links and help remove them, and otherwise clean up each device so that they perform optimally.

In the end, I'm trying to get the openHAB software to work and I'm running into issues with the Insteon plug-in that I think may be related to my broken links.

Thanks

When moving from one controller to another, you should always factory reset devices. Not only does this cost out half links, it clears out links from the old controller as well which could potentially cause issues with another controller.

Since you're switching systems anyway, a factory reset is your best bet regardless

Comment

Working...
    X