Why are my wired Insteon devices dying?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why are my wired Insteon devices dying?

Every time I have a power outage, when power is restored one or more of my wired Insteon switches, dimmers or keypads fails... i.e. dead. Reset etc does not work.

After another failed keypad and another $80 to replace it, I decided to dismantle the keypad to see what failed. I discovered a destroyed 470uF 35V capacitor and burn marks where the live, neutral and load wires join the PCB.

Is this a known "weakness" or am I just unlucky. I do have a whole house surge protector installed.

Interestingly its only keypads, switches and dimmers that are impacted. Outlets are fine.

With a failed capacitor is it likely that the dimmer is toast, or does a $0.50 replacement capacitor fix the dimmer again?

Thank you for your advice.

Are they the older power line only models or the Dual Band ones with the universal power input models?

470uF/35V capacitor sounds more like the older ones. As the universal power input ones use a switching power supply with a different circuit and capacitors . If the 470uF/35V is blown you most likely will also find a 30V Zener diode damaged and it supplies the lower voltage supplies in the module. I would try a replacement cap as they are not too expensive but expect it may not fix the issues.

I understand the new Dual Band module with switching supplies. Have a better surge tolerance.

Comment

Those capacitors were used in switches from 2005

The components have been upgraded considerably since then.

The markings you see on the neutral wire is likely resin that can resemble a burnt wire.

Comment

Originally posted by BLH View Post
        Are they the older power line only models or the Dual Band ones with the universal power input models?

470uF/35V capacitor sounds more like the older ones. As the universal power input ones use a switching power supply with a different circuit and capacitors . If the 470uF/35V is blown you most likely will also find a 30V Zener diode damaged and it supplies the lower voltage supplies in the module. I would try a replacement cap as they are not too expensive but expect it may not fix the issues. PrepaidCardStatus

I understand the new Dual Band module with switching supplies. Have a better surge tolerance.
        Thanks for sharing useful post here.
        Last edited by jackolainwm; 06-05-2020, 11:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jackolainwm View Post

470uF/35V capacitor sounds more like the older ones. As the universal power input ones use a switching power supply with a different circuit and capacitors . If the 470uF/35V is blown you most likely will also find a 30V Zener diode damaged and it supplies the lower voltage supplies in the module. I would try a replacement cap as they are not too expensive but expect it may not fix the issues dqfansurvey.I understand the new Dual Band module with switching supplies. Have a better surge tolerance.Thanks for sharing useful post here.
          Thanks for sharing this info.

Comment

Every time I experience a power loss, one or more of my wired Insteon switches, dimmers, or keypads malfunction or go dead when the power goes back on. It doesn't work to reset, etc.

I chose to take the keypad apart to discover what went wrong when yet another keypad failed and cost an additional $80 to repair. Along with burn scars where the live, neutral, and load wires join the PCB, I also found a destroyed 470uF 35V capacitor.

Do you know this as a "weakness" or am I just unlucky? Yes, I have installed a surge protector for my entire home.

It's interesting to note that just dimmers, switches, and keypads are affected. Connectors work well.

Is the dimmer probably toast if the capacitor fails, or can it be fixed again with a $0.50 replacement capacitor?

Regards
            Last edited by INSTEON John; 10-16-2023, 09:25 AM. Reason: Erased hidden code linked to a non-relevant web site like spam

Comment

Working...
            X