Entire Circuit Flashes Periodically

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Entire Circuit Flashes Periodically

I have many Insteon line-in switch/dimmers controlling quite a few LED can lights. This was part of a new building construction and installation back in 2014. Recently, a visitor pointed out that all of the lights in the building would flash for a split second at seemingly random times -- I did not notice this until they pointed it out.

I have tried to reset one of the circuit switches and re-pair it with the hub. I have visually noted that both the circuit it controls (all of the LED can lights) and the LED indicator lights on the switch (the level indicator, not the communication indicator) will flash at the same time, which makes it seem like a power quality issue -- regular non-Insteon switches on the same branch that control near identical lighting loads do not have this same issue.

Any ideas?

More information, this is a Model 2477D Rev.7.6 - 2414.

Comment

In cases like this it helps to know exactly what is flashing.

in your description a visitor reported that all the lights were flickering but your comments seem to point to the lights on just one switch. Regular mechanical switches don’t seem to have a flicker. This is important because it helps with the focus of what the problem might be.

if everything was indeed flickering on any style switch then it likely noise on the powerline strong enough to effect all your lights. This is rare because you likely have different bulbs in different application and they would not respond to noise the same way.

Power dips from the utility side would be the only likely answer but I doubt that is happening.

What makes the most sense is that it one maybe two switches that are misfiring on insteon traffic or quick noise traffic.

Changing the switch may help or adding a capacitor to the neutral and load of the switch. I’m giving you this capacitor option as a test. This is not a UL rated insteon approved solution but it can fix the problem. .01 mf capacitor at 400v. It wires across the neutral and load connection.

Other companies make these in an approved ETL case.
      I have heard that this type works well in many cases.
      https://www.amazon.com/LED-Dimming-S...t-items&sr=1-2
      Last edited by SteveL; 01-26-2020, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveL View Post
        In cases like this it helps to know exactly what is flashing.

in your description a visitor reported that all the lights were flickering but your comments seem to point to the lights on just one switch. Regular mechanical switches don’t seem to have a flicker. This is important because it helps with the focus of what the problem might be.

if everything was indeed flickering on any style switch then it likely noise on the powerline strong enough to effect all your lights. This is rare because you likely have different bulbs in different application and they would not respond to noise the same way.

Power dips from the utility side would be the only likely answer but I doubt that is happening.mcdvoice.com

What makes the most sense is that it one maybe two switches that are misfiring on insteon traffic or quick noise traffic.

Changing the switch may help or adding a capacitor to the neutral and load of the switch. I’m giving you this capacitor option as a test. This is not a UL rated insteon approved solution but it can fix the problem. .01 mf capacitor at 400v. It wires across the neutral and load connection.

Other companies make these in an approved ETL case.
        I have heard that this type works well in many cases.
        https://www.amazon.com/LED-Dimming-S...t-items&sr=1-2

this helped me a lot, thanks for sharing, much appreciated

Comment

Working...
        X