Commands with Bixby?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Commands with Bixby?

I have used my insteon devices using voice control with Cortana on my Windows Phone and now with my galaxy s10, but how can one do Bixby commands that talk to Insteon devices? I also have a Logitech Harmony remote that knows how to talk to Insteon hub and Bixby sees the Activities, but not the devices.

As far as I know you cant

Comment

I now see that Alexa can also see all the scenes and devices. Not sure if it is seeing that through the hub or the Logitech remote hub, but Alexa finds stuff. If Bixby could control Alexa, then I could get it to work for me. Or if Insteon supported Bixby. or vice versa

Comment

Here are some helpful commands for Bixby's voice:
        • "Change the camera mode to [mode name]"
        • "Take a picture"
        • "Take a selfie"
        • "Set the timer for the rear camera to 10 seconds"
        • "Apply an effect"
        I hope this helps!
        Regards,
        Lewis

Comment

Those are helpful, but not for operating my Insteon devices.

Comment

Sadly, it's still true in September of 2021. Insteon is not on the list of brands supported by Samsung SmartThings, and Bixby can only control things via SmartThings. Insteon would need to go through whatever process is required by Samsung to get them added to the list. It's disappointing since so many other smart assistants (Amazon's Alexa, Google Assistant, Apple's Siri, etc.) do support Insteon. I have a Samsung Watch Active 2, which only offers Bixby as its assistant.

Now, as for your phone, you can just switch to using Google Assistant (and yes, also Alexa) instead of Bixby and you'll be able to link Google Assistant (or Alexa) to Insteon and then say things like "Hey, Google/Alexa, turn on the office light" and it works fairly well. The Samsung Watch 4 will (very soon) also allow you to use Google Assistant instead of Bixby.

It's a bummer because Bixby is actually more capable of doing some very intricate things on your phone that Google Assistant cannot, but GA is just much more solid overall.
            Hub: Hub 2 (39:35:10) | Phones: Samsung Galaxy S7 (Android 8.0) | Insteon devices: 25+

Comment

Working...
            X