Odd Toggle Switch behavior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Odd Toggle Switch behavior

I have 4 lights switches in the same switch box. 3 of them are ToggleLinc (2466) Switches, the other is normal light switch.

So that I can explain the odd behavior, I'll list out my light switches:
    SW1 - inside garage light (Insteon)
    SW2 - outside garage light (Insteon)
    SW3 - kitchen light (Insteon)
    SW4 - stairwell (normal)

All switches will turn the lights on/off manually.
    Insteon switches are set so that the LEDs will blink when Insteon traffic is detected

Here's the odd behavior:
    If SW2 is on, the Hub sees all 3 switches as disconnected. The LEDs do not blink when I issue commands to any of those 3 switches when SW2 is on. If I turn SW2 off, then the LEDs on the switches will start to blink immediately after I turn SW2 off (eg looks like traffic was queued up somewhere).

SW2 is the only switch that causes the odd behavior. SW1 or SW3 do not impact the others in the same switch box.

What I've done to try to troubleshoot:
    1) Added a number of Range Extenders. Did not help. I thought maybe that switch box was just far enough away from the Hub.
    2) Replaced SW2 with a new toggle switch (firmware 6.6). SW1 and SW3 are firmware 6.3.

The behavior has been going on for a while. I just dealt with it. So, I can't say what may have changed in my house to cause this to be a problem. Occasionally, I can get a command through to control the 3 switches if SW2 is on. I have to rapid fire a series of commands, though.

Any suggestions for further troubleshooting would be appreciated.
    Last edited by TrippinEx; 10-19-2019, 11:21 AM.

Originally posted by TFitzpatri8
    Sounds like electronic noise generated by the load on switch 2 is interfering with power line communications. What kind of bulb/fixture is attached to that switch? Is it dim or flickering? Is it designed to be used with a dimmer switch?

The fix will be to either install a noise filter between the switch and the load, or to replace the load. If it is a CFL bulb in a standard screw-in base, the easiest solution is likely to just replace the bulbs with a couple of new, dimmable LEDs.
    It's an outdoor LED flood light. I'll have to check, but doubt they are dimmable. I also haven't noticed them flickering.

The interference makes sense, though. Now I'm wondering if this all started when I replaced the flood lights. I won't be able to fit a noise filter in the inside switch box. Not sure there is enough room in the outside box that holds the flood light. I suspect I'll have to change out the fixture all together.

Thanks for the guidance!

Comment

Follow up

TFitzpatri8 , your guidance helped me fix the problem. Looks like the LED flood light I had was the culprit. I replaced it and now the other toggle switches are able to respond to PLC commands. I can go back to being lazy again.

Comment

Working...
      X