Confused about Range

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confused about Range

I currently have Insteon products in my townhouse and have had no issues.

I am moving to a much larger home where the internet and Insteon Hub would be sitting in the basement (although I could also connect it somewhere else in the house).

I'm trying to figure out if I will have issues with range. On one hand I read that Insteon uses a Mesh network so that each switch repeats the signal - which if true, I should be fine as I put switches throughout the house. On the other hand, I read that you may need extenders throughout the house?

Any help? The guy working on my house who is a control4 dealer is telling me I need control4 switches - everything else won't have the range. (But clearly he is biased....at $150/control4 switch, I'm looking for alternatives)

Insteon utilizes it's mesh capabilities to extend it range. Each device does just that. You do not need any extenders as each device erves the same purpose. My current home is 5400 sq feet and uses insteon (and zwave without issue. I'm currently doing an 8000 sq foot home and all devices work once again without issue. While I'm using the isy and not the hub, they both utilize the same underlying plm.

With that said, there are many variables that goes into an install (with an technology) so performance does vary.

Comment

Originally posted by lilyoyo1 View Post
      Insteon utilizes it's mesh capabilities to extend it range. Each device does just that. You do not need any extenders as each device erves the same purpose. My current home is 5400 sq feet and uses insteon (and zwave without issue. I'm currently doing an 8000 sq foot home and all devices work once again without issue. While I'm using the isy and not the hub, they both utilize the same underlying plm.

With that said, there are many variables that goes into an install (with an technology) so performance does vary.
      So what real purpose does the extender serve?

Comment

Noone un my opinion as I rather use devices that can actually control something. With that said, a person may have an area where they do not need device control. In those cases they can save a few dollars

Comment

I needed the extender because I was having issues across the two power legs that feed my house, so the controls for the garage where spotty thru the hub, but with the extender plugged into the garage side, my control became much less spotty. The more devices you have, the more robust the network though, since you get concurrent signals over the power line and RF. I have devices in my backyard and have no issues with controlling them (even the RF only motion sensors), works all the time.

Comment

Working...
          X