Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hub died and all device schedules are stopped.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hub died and all device schedules are stopped.

Hello. My 2245 hub is not quite 3 years old and now dead. I came home one night last week and my porch light is not on. I now realized that all schedules are stopped without a hub!!! This is Insteon’s downfall. I hope Insteon will make schedules reside in the devices themselves so that when internet is down or the hub is down, schedules can still continue. I have purchased a couple of smart wifi bulb sockets and they remember their schedules even if the internet is down or even after a power failure. I wish Insteon devices are resilient like these smart plugs.

You may want to call Smarthome Customer Support. I have seen indications that they have a repair service for the 2445 HUB. So you don't loose all the links in it and have to redo everything with a new HUB. Not sure of any restrictions.

Comment

Originally posted by firefox111 View Post
      Hello. My 2245 hub is not quite 3 years old and now dead. I came home one night last week and my porch light is not on. I now realized that all schedules are stopped without a hub!!! This is Insteon’s downfall. I hope Insteon will make schedules reside in the devices themselves so that when internet is down or the hub is down, schedules can still continue. I have purchased a couple of smart wifi bulb sockets and they remember their schedules even if the internet is down or even after a power failure. I wish Insteon devices are resilient like these smart plugs.
      They're are pros and cons to every technology. Your WiFi switches have many more limitations than Insteon does overall. While it may do this 1 thing that you're looking for better than Insteon, it's potential impact on your home is much lesser than Insteon if used to it's full capability. If all you are looking for is a timer switch, there are plenty of things like that for much less money

Insteon was designed to be much more than a timer switch which is why hubs come into play. It allows for full automation of your home vs a singular thing

Comment

I have participated in this discussion before - WiFi devices vs Insteon dual band devices. That’s why I’m still for Insteon. You say there’s a timer switch to use instead of using Insteon to schedule on/off? Well, how will you stick a timer switch to a porch light controlled by a wall switch? I will probably buy a spare hub. I wish there is a way for Insteon to make two hubs in redundant mode so when one dies, there is another unit to seamlessly take over the duty. I have seen redundancy in networking devices, IT server clustering for redundancy, etc. I wish there is something like this in smart home technologies.

Comment

Originally posted by firefox111 View Post
          I have participated in this discussion before - WiFi devices vs Insteon dual band devices. That’s why I’m still for Insteon. You say there’s a timer switch to use instead of using Insteon to schedule on/off? Well, how will you stick a timer switch to a porch light controlled by a wall switch? I will probably buy a spare hub. I wish there is a way for Insteon to make two hubs in redundant mode so when one dies, there is another unit to seamlessly take over the duty. I have seen redundancy in networking devices, IT server clustering for redundancy, etc. I wish there is something like this in smart home technologies.
          Not understanding your comment/questionquesti how to stick a timer switch to a porch light that is controlled by a switch. You would replace the current with the timer switch like you did with your insteon and wifi switches. They are standard switches with timer function built inside them.

The lack of redundancy comes down to how devices work as well as cost. Most times when you have automatic backup and redundant systems, they are part of an ecosystem that was designed to work that way and have the associated costs that comes along with that capability. For insteon to take that into account and design that capability, they would need to redo how the devices themselves work so it's supported down the device level. This most likely would increase the cost of insteon hardware. For them to also support it at the controller level, most likely a person would be paying much more than 80 dollars for a controller cutting down on potential buyers looking for a cheap controller.

Comment

I didn’t know that there is a timer wall switch that can be used instead of Insteon 2477S? Well, I’d pay for redundancy. Insteon, it’s time to improve and innovate. If you still stick to hub system, design a redundancy in your hub. Thanks for listening. As I have said, I’d pay for redundant system. It’s been more than 7 days that I have waited for the replacement hub and all my devices are waiiiiittttiiiiinnnngggg.

Comment

Working...
            X