Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Light randomly turns on

Hi!

I've got Insteon micro modules behind all my switches - a mix of dimmers and on/off switches. They work great! Best of both worlds - custom visible physical switches and insteon brains to manage the whole thing. I have an ISY with a PLM to do fancy control. To give a sense of the numbers, there are 30ish light switches, 5 outlets, 5 door sensors, 8 window sensors, 3 motion sensors, a garage door sensor and 2 I/O modules (one controlling the garage, one that rings a chime when doors or windows open). Beyond the Insteon stuff, there are a few z-wave devices (not connected to the ISY) and wifi. The house has two subpanels coming from the main panel outside with 20ish breakers on one and 10ish on the other. There are insteon devices spread across both.

The problem I have: there's one light (a hallway light that's got 3 switches controlling it) that turns on at random times. Most often when I notice it's the middle of the night (10pm or 2am or ...), but it also turns itself on during the day. It's not consistent, and there's no wayward program on the ISY causing it. I'd say it happens a few times each week.

I don't even know where to begin diagnosing the problem. It's rare enough I never have my laptop open to try and catch it in the works (and even if I did I wouldn't know what to look for). I don't have a logger recording all traffic the ISY sees to try and backtrack what's causing it. I don't know what tools I would use to find out if there's noise on the wire (though the circuit that has this light has plenty of other lights that don't exhibit this behavior).

Anybody have advice for me?

Thanks,

-ben

Factory reset the device just in case there is some errant programming from the factory during testing. Personally, I would leave it free from the ISY for a few days to ensure it didn't happen again. Once certain choose the restore option and add it back in.

Regardless of whether you wait to add it back to the isy, a factory reset and restore would be your best bet

Comment

You can try to do factory reset. Else call an electrician.

Comment

Similar but different. All of a sudden my hall light comes on when I turn on the dining room and main lounge light when I turn on the sink lights. But only when using the switch, with the app it does not happen. Been installed for three years with issues. I have removed all devices and reinstalled, but to no avail. This started when we were on vacation and I had the lights coming on and going off randomly. Help!

Comment

maplebed Did you ever resolve this? I now have the same situation with a micro on/off controller I recently installed. It seemed like a miracle solution, but not if it's going to just turn itself on all the time! I'm guessing maybe it has something to do with the sense wire detecting a voltage drop or something? I don't even really know where to start on this one, and I hope I don't have to rethink the solution. This is my first micro-controller that I'm using with sense to work with a built-in switch.

Comment

The sense loop must stay closed,
            on the mini modules, for the light
            to stay on. Switch needs to be
            normally open. This works well,
            if you are using the existing switch,
            to convert to insteon, instead of buying
            new switch plates. I hope this helps..

Comment

Well, my problem isn't that the light isn't staying on—it's that it goes on by itself occasionally/randomly.

Comment

Sorry to drag up an old one but I have 2 of the micro open-close (2444-222) units in the same behind-the-switch configuration that also randomly turn the lights on and off. I just replaced them with Shelly 1's and migrated my control to Home Assistant. Insteon is fully supported but now I have a lot more choice in my smart home devices to address issues like this.

Comment

Low battery at motion sensor is a trigger. I've had same situation at kitchen and it drowe me crazy one night when lights turned on few minutes after I turned it off. And it keept on going for some 15 minutes. Then I googled it and find out that low batteries are most certain culprits.
                  Last edited by INSTEON John; 05-19-2023, 01:08 PM. Reason: Erased hidden code linked to a non-relevant web site like spam

Comment

Hi there!

It's great to hear that you're enjoying your Insteon setup and finding it useful overall. However, the issue with the random activation of the hallway light can be frustrating. Let's explore some possible steps to diagnose and troubleshoot the problem:
                    Check the physical switches: Make sure the physical switches for the hallway light are in good working condition. Sometimes, a faulty switch can cause unexpected behavior. You can try replacing the switches or inspecting them for any loose connections.
                    Last edited by INSTEON John; 07-14-2023, 03:28 PM. Reason: Erased hidden code linked to a non-relevant web site like spam

Comment

I believe that with the information you share, it will bring a lot of value to the readers and I hope that they will absorb the good and useful things.
                      Last edited by INSTEON John; 01-31-2024, 07:37 PM. Reason: Erased hidden code linked to a non-relevant web sites like spam

Comment

Working...
                      X