No announcement yet.

Insteon Hub V2 does not seem to support device-level schedule for SwitchLinc V2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insteon Hub V2 does not seem to support device-level schedule for SwitchLinc V2

I have several switches, dimmers, outlets and sensors with the Hub V2. I noticed that if I look at one of my SwitchLinc devices they do not have a "Schedule" option when I look at the device in the Windows or Android apps. However the dimmers do have a schedule option on the device page. See the pictures below - "Dimmer", "Switch"

In the app I can locate the Schedules tab and successfully enter a scheduled off time again the Switch but the device is not turned off to the schedule, See the picture "Schedule"

I know there is a work-around to put the Switch in a scene, but I am intrigued that the Hub will allow programming a schedule for a device (in the schedules tab) but then not appear to act on it. I am fairly sure that no devices (switches nor dimmers) actually have an internal schedule ability, so believe that the hub is just not sending the on/off at schedule time.

I notice that there are entries for each device called "Device Details" and appear to have a hex representation of a bit pattern. I notice that the pattern for the devices that do not seem to have a schedule option in the apps device tab do not have bit value 4 in the 5th of the "nibbles". I wonder if that is a clue and wonder if it explains some of the weird issues some people are reporting that "schedules don't work"

Rick

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 3 photos.

I can't help with the windows app. However when using the Android app, are you hitting the save button after you set your time? Many people will hit done and forget to hit the save icon afterwards

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion lilyoyo1. It's always worth reminding folks! I have done the save and it can be confirmed by opening the app on my other device to make sure it has stuck. So the "Schedules" tab has an "Off" time which is ignored, but the device's own settings tab does not even show whether or not a schedule exists.

Comment

OK, I am not an Insteon expert by any means, and I may be way off here, but this is what I think I discovered this morning. In setting a schedule for a device, there are TWO save steps required for each time-of-day setting, one for the Enable/Disable, and one for the actual time. On my iOS device (iPhone and iPad) I found that I could save the "Enabled" or "Disabled" status, but when I actually set the On Time and Off Time, I could not save them because there is no "Save" button visible, only a "Done" button. It's only when I went to my Windows 10 device that the "Save" button for the On Time and Off Time appeared (in a very obscure location, I might add)..

Conclusion: you can view the schedule on your iOS device, and you can enable or disable it, but you cannot edit it.
        Last edited by James R.; 08-10-2020, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by James R. View Post
          OK, I am not an Insteon expert by any means, and I may be way off here, but this is what I think I discovered this morning. In setting a schedule for a device, there are TWO save steps required for each time-of-day setting, one for the Enable/Dispable, and one for the actual time. On my iOS device (iPhone and iPad) I found that I could save the "Enabled" or "Disabled" status, but when I actually set the On Time and Off Time, I could not save them because there is no "Save" button visible, only a "Done" button. It's only when I went to my Windows 10 device that the "Save" button for the On Time and Off Time appeared (in a very obscure location, I might add)..

Conclusion: you can view the schedule on your iOS device, and you can enable or disable it, but you cannot edit it.
          Greetings James, I have often seen problems on a site I built with iOS devices not handling the page layout the way I expected. it may be that the button is "off the viewing area" and it may be that if you turn the screen to landscape it may come into view. Sorry if this is a red-herring, but thought I would post just in case!

Comment

Originally posted by ricketyca View Post

Greetings James, I have often seen problems on a site I built with iOS devices not handling the page layout the way I expected. it may be that the button is "off the viewing area" and it may be that if you turn the screen to landscape it may come into view. Sorry if this is a red-herring, but thought I would post just in case!
            Well, it was a good thought, so I went back and had another look. On my old iPhone SE, the Insteon app will not rotate to landscape. On my iPad, it does rotate, but there is still no sign of a "Save" button. It might be interesting to know what the Android users experience.

Comment

Ok James. I use the "released app" most of the time on Android. I have Switchlincs installed currently. On the Android app when trying to add a schedule to a dimmer I first have to select the device and the press the Disabled option for the schedule

Then I select the On time. Note that there is a save icon at the top

I select On time and the screen now shows

You can now see you can set Schedule to time of day and a time. There is no Save icon, here but the Done option "saves" the On time setting.
              That takes me back to be able to set the Off time and select "Done" for that
              I am then taken back to the Schedule screen where the Save icon shows up. Unless you now save, the changes made will not be used in a schedule.

I do hope seeing this helps, either understanding what needs to be done or what is being missed in the iOS app.

In addition to the released app there is also the (still) Beta version, but I don't know if that is available on iOS. There is also a Windows version which I sometimes revert to. In that version each of the steps to set On and Off times are marked as "Save" not just as "Done"

Rick

Comment

Working...
              X