Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

garage door advanced option

hello all!

I know the answer would be: change your insteon hub for the ISY. but I would prefer not... cost reaons and simplicity of the hub (even if that simplicity is the issues here)

2 things I want to do:

1: when garage door open (insteon garage door kit): turn on a scene . when garage door closes, wait 10 minute and turn off the scene.
    2: when garage door is open for more than 30 minutes, send me an alert on my phone.

I tried with stringify.
    1: insteon integration is known to not be reliable to trigger flow. works 60% of the time
    2: tried with Gmail to trigger flow. worked for a week. now it does not anymore. gmail thing show as disconnect, even if I just re-authenticated successfully.

unfortunatly, I think it's time to pull the plug on stringify. not reliable even if I like it... pretty powerful!

anyone else have an idea on how I can achieve both goals?

thanks!

If you really want to keep the hub you could hack something together using a Powerlinc modem ($80) and Raspberry Pi ($25). But you would need to have some programming ability.

If you have some MacGuyver skills you could try this wacky way to achieve #1 on your list. Get an insteon plug in module and an insteon motion sensor II (with the USB charging port). Plug a USB power adapter into the plug in module and set the plug in module to turn on when the garage is opened (add it to your scene as a responder). Then set the motion sensor to have a motion countdown of 10 minutes and add it as a controller in your scene).

The result is that when the garage opens, the scene turns on and now the motion sensor is active. When the garage closes the movement will activate the motion sensor, turning the scene on again even though it is already on. After 10 minutes of no motion, the scene turns off, disabling the motion sensor again.

Comment

Homeseer should be in every home.

Comment

Originally posted by byoung2 View Post
        If you really want to keep the hub you could hack something together using a Powerlinc modem ($80) and Raspberry Pi ($25). But you would need to have some programming ability.

If you have some MacGuyver skills you could try this wacky way to achieve #1 on your list. Get an insteon plug in module and an insteon motion sensor II (with the USB charging port). Plug a USB power adapter into the plug in module and set the plug in module to turn on when the garage is opened (add it to your scene as a responder). Then set the motion sensor to have a motion countdown of 10 minutes and add it as a controller in your scene).

The result is that when the garage opens, the scene turns on and now the motion sensor is active. When the garage closes the movement will activate the motion sensor, turning the scene on again even though it is already on. After 10 minutes of no motion, the scene turns off, disabling the motion sensor again.
        I like your possible solution to #1

Comment

Since I first saw this post I have switched my home over to an ISY and I would highly recommend it. I got mine on Ebay and it included the ISY-994i/IR Pro and PowerLinc 2413s for $180. Not a bad deal for the flexibility it gives me.

Comment

Took the bull by the horn and got a board designed exactly for the garage door left open alarm.

It requires a second insteon 2450 that will take care of sending you the alert "you forgot the garage door, it's open for 30 minutes now!"

The delay for the alarm is configurable with deep switches on the board (bottom left) from 5 to 75 minutes, in 5 minutes increments.

It takes its power from both 5v output of the insteon 2450. So all you have is 2 audio jacks from the board to the 2 insteon 2450. Looks clean.

When the board see the garage door opening (from insteon 2450 #1) it waits the configured amount of time on the deep switches and then trigger the sensor on insteon 2450 #2, which sends you the alarm.

Designed to fit in between 2 insteon 2450.

Unfortunately (financially in mean) I haven't ordered 10 000 units from china to get a cost of like $10. Just did a first order locally for 25 units .

What do you, insteon hub users, think?

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Working...
            X