Differentiating between lights and other devices - google home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Differentiating between lights and other devices - google home

I have my setup working pretty well - I have several dimmers and on/off switches - I have them assigned to rooms and I've given them names. I've also associated my insteon account with google home - works very well.

In my room called "office" I have three switches. Two control lights and one controls a ceiling fan. When I say "turn off the office lights" it turns off all three switches - including the ceiling fan. What can I do so that google home knows that switch is not controlling a "light"? That switch is labelled "ceiling fan".

One thought I had was to assign the ceiling fan to a different room - I only have one ceiling fan in my house so if it is assigned a different unique room then the voice command "turn on/off the ceiling fan" will work. This seems messy and hacky though.

Ideally Insteon would be able to pass on the device type somehow so that GH can use that as a hint.

How do other people handle this?

Are you using a standard on/off insteon switcch to control your fan or a switch with the fanlinc? From your description, it sounds like you are using a standard insteon switch.

If you are using a switch by itself to control the fan, I would expect the behavior that you are seeing since it is a light switch by design. Insteon would be passing along the correct device type since that is the type of device you are using.

Comment

Google Home support is pretty weak. The new changes that Google made killed some of my setup, as I was using scenes to make sure that when I said "turn on the XX lights" that it turned on the lights and the associated lights buttons on some of the keypads. I just put the "switches" in a generic room. Now, with the new Home app the scenes don't even show up in the rooms even when they are assigned there. Weird quirks like not being able to tell Google or Insteon if the item is a light, a fan, etc.. are additional frustrations. Who do we talk with about this? Is this an Insteon support thing, or is Google the one responsible for how the integration is handled? Why is it that the past 20 years home control gets so close and never quite makes it to the user-friendly utopia we've all been dreaming of. One software change from Google and everything I had set up breaks.. :/

Comment

Has anyone been able to control both plugs of a dual outlet using Google Home? I can get the top plug to respond by just using the device name. But if I try to elaborate by saying "top plug" or "bottom plug", it doesn't work. Would be nice if both could be controlled independently as that is the purpose of the device.

Comment

Working...
        X