No announcement yet.

Hub 2 - 50% of swicthes from the Apps, the hub beeps once and fails to switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hub 2 - 50% of swicthes from the Apps, the hub beeps once and fails to switch

I have a large Insteon system and have been using it for 10 years so I know my way around, but this has got me stumped. Everything was working fine up till 2 days ago when Devices and Scenes randomly stopped responding when switched from the Hub(via iPad App, Windows App or Alexa). They work 50% of the time...and when they don't the hub beeps. I ran the network diag which passed all 6 tests. Scenes activated from switches all work fine, its just from Apps(controlled via the hub) they don't. Any ideas ?

Scene created with the Hub are actually stored in the devices themselves, so I would expect that manipulating the device manually would work. That the Hub seems to work only sometimes suggest that something on the powerline has changed.

Powerline noise can sometimes overcome the benefits of RF, UPSs, computer power supplies age and can produce such noise. Is you Hub on the same circuit. Try powering the Hub from a long extension cord plugged into a distan outlet. You may want to try a few outlets. Any success?
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Thanks...yes I have moved the hub to 3 different locations in the house now with no change....but it also communicates over the air too so would have thought that would help. I have my computer equipment behind an insteon filter too. I think the beep it makes when it doesn't work is a clue...it obviously gets a communication from the App but who knows if its a problem with the comms from the App or to the devices.

EDIT: It seems to be OK again now! A question..moving the hub to a different place would mean a different route/hops to devices. Does the hub learn this...as it would explain it taking a while to become reliable again ?
      Last edited by reded23; 02-17-2018, 03:52 PM.

Comment

As I indicated, powerline noise, especially if it's on the same circuit as an errant device, can overcome the RF signal. And yes, moving the Hub creates different routes between the Hub and what it's controlling. BTW, it the Hub plugged in directly to the wall outlet or an extension plugged directly in and not on a surge suppressor?
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
        Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Working...
        X