Alexa Controls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alexa Controls

Do you think there will ever be reverse control of Alexa? We can tell Alexa to control many insteon devices, but what if we could control Alexa with Insteon? Like set a Insteon button to run a routine? Another example would be to have a multi-button keypad and be able to set a button tell alexa to play a certain channel on Sonos or Amazon music on x device or devices. Or set buttons to control volume. It would almost be like Sonos.

Insteon works with Sonos so you wouldn't need Alexa to be part of that. This is something that can be accomplished now.

In regards to music from your echo, it would be nice but it also defeats the reason for voice control (hands free). That would be something Amazon would need to build into the API. It's worth writing them about it.

Comment

Now that the echo plus is marketed as a smarthome hub and Alexa has added routines the possibility would be endless. Since an Alexa routine can handle multiple smarthome protocols (insteon, wemo, phillips, smarthings, echobee, nest, zwave,leviton and on on on on. Like you said though this all works through voice but I can see situations where you may want to activate the routines through a keypad. I suppose if Amazon saw this as a feature they would just make there own keypad but the beauty of the Insteon is that you can put it in place of an exsisting switch with the 2487S or similar keypads.

Comment

Amazon's API would need to support that capability. Alexa wasnt designed for insteon. It was designed to work with with multiple things.

Outside of triggering the Alexa itself, insteon keypads can already do everything else you've stated.

Don't get me wrong, I see your point. I'm just saying it's not up to Insteon.
        Last edited by lilyoyo1; 02-13-2018, 03:35 PM.

Comment

To achieve the specific examples you mentioned, such as controlling Alexa with Insteon buttons or using a keypad to control Sonos or Amazon Music playback, it would require the cooperation and integration between Insteon, Alexa, and the respective music streaming services. It's always recommended to reach out to the manufacturers or official support channels of these platforms to inquire about potential features or integrations and express your interest in such functionalities. They may have insights into their roadmap or be able to provide guidance on alternative solutions or workarounds. 2
          Last edited by INSTEON John; 06-16-2023, 04:04 PM. Reason: Erased hidden code linked to a non-relevant web site like spam

Comment

Working...
          X