Alexa-Enabled Groups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alexa-Enabled Groups

In the Alexa app, you can create Alexa-Enabled Groups. This is a group with smart devices (lights, switches, etc.) and an Echo. The cool thing about these groups is that once they are created, you can go into a room and say "Alexa, turn on the lights" and the lights in the group turn on. I set this up with some Philips Hue bulbs and it worked great. I set it up with some Insteon switches and it doesn't work at all.

Is this an Insteon issue or an Alexa one? Has anybody been able to get this to work?
    Proud tinkerer with Insteon Hub, Switches, Dimmers, Fanlincs, etc. Plus some Amazon Echos to make things more fun!
    I blog about smart home stuff too!

Whats not working? Exactly what are you experiencing? Are you using the insteon hub or the ISY? What is the exact setup? Are you controlling individual insteon devices or insteon scenes?

Comment

Originally posted by richaree View Post
      Whats not working? Exactly what are you experiencing? Are you using the insteon hub or the ISY? What is the exact setup? Are you controlling individual insteon devices or insteon scenes?
      I apologize, I should have been more clear.

What's not working? Exactly what am I experiencing? - When I say, "Alexa, turn on the lights" it gives an error like "there are no devices to turn on" (that's not exact, I'll have to test it again to get the exact error.

Are you using the insteon hub or the ISY? - I'm using the Insteon Hub (regular one - not the pro with Apple Homekit)

What is the exact setup? Are you controlling individual insteon devices or insteon scenes? - I have one group set up with two Insteon Scenes and an Echo and one group set up with two Insteon Switches and an Echo.

I'm not at home right now so I'll have to wait to double check that I'm getting the same error for switches and scenes or if they are different. I'll follow up as soon as I can.
      Proud tinkerer with Insteon Hub, Switches, Dimmers, Fanlincs, etc. Plus some Amazon Echos to make things more fun!

Comment

Originally posted by TFitzpatri8
        The Echo has to know a device is a light for it to be included. Are you trying to control dimmers or on/off relays?
        I've got both in the mix. I really though the Alexa app identified all of them as "Lights", but when I double checked, they are all (switch, dimmer switch, and scene) identified as "Other". Maybe that's why they don't work. My Hue bulbs are identified as lights and they work fine.

I'm guessing Insteon needs to update their integration app to properly identify their devices.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffryE View Post

I apologize, I should have been more clear.

What's not working? Exactly what am I experiencing? - When I say, "Alexa, turn on the lights" it gives an error like "there are no devices to turn on" (that's not exact, I'll have to test it again to get the exact error.

Are you using the insteon hub or the ISY? - I'm using the Insteon Hub (regular one - not the pro with Apple Homekit)

What is the exact setup? Are you controlling individual insteon devices or insteon scenes? - I have one group set up with two Insteon Scenes and an Echo and one group set up with two Insteon Switches and an Echo.

I'm not at home right now so I'll have to wait to double check that I'm getting the same error for switches and scenes or if they are different. I'll follow up as soon as I can.
          I am getting the same error for both groups - "I don't see a device called lights" or something like that (I don't remember the exact wording).

Upon further investigation (as I noted above), it looks like the Alexa app isn't identifying any of my Insteon devices or scenes as "Lights" but as "Other" and that, to me, looks like the real issue. I wish there was a way I could change that...

Comment

Working...
          X