Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Micro Open/Close Right for a Whole House Fan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Micro Open/Close Right for a Whole House Fan?

I've got a whole house fan (QC-6400), which is a pair of dual-speed fans. Energize one line for high speed, energize a second line for low speed. In the current installation, the fan is controlled by a pair of SPDT center-off switches. I have a 3-gang box: a timer/master-switch in gang 1, and one SPDT center-off in each of the other two gangs. My initial plan is to replace the timer with the 6-button Insteon key pad and the two switches with micro open/close relays, which should all fit nicely in the 3-gang box.

But is the micro open/close the right part? I could also use a pair of micro on/offs to replace each switch. Slave one micro on/off to the other in the gang to give me high and low for one fan, so four micros total to replace my current set up. Which of these solutions is correct? Am I just way off?

For reference, wiring instructions for my fan are at https://quietcoolsystems.com/wp-cont...2017_email.pdf. Section 4-3 (page 16) shows my fan, but the associated diagrams are not the one my contractor used. Rather he wired both fans like Figures C and D, which I'm glad he did. It gives me more CPF options.

The Open/Close Micro Module will not work for your needs. It is designed for things that need a preset application of AC then turn off.
    It has built in timers that you calibrate to the time needed for the load to completely open or close. Then turn back off.
    Your fans may run for a brief time then go back off.

Looking at the fans manual you linked to. Your setup fan is different than the ones in it. You have two Dual Speed fan motors not two single speed ones being shown for the CL-6400
    Your wiring indicates it has two dual speed fan motors. So the normal two single speed fans in E do not apply. The two dual speed wiring in C and D then apply.
    Last edited by BLH; 04-25-2017, 04:29 AM. Reason: Add information.

Comment

Yeah, you got it. So to control two fans of the Fig C and D variety, I'm going to need four of the on/off modules. Will two modules fit into a single otherwise-blank gang? Also, am I correct in understanding that these modules are SPST? I'd initially thought SPDT, which would have been better because I could slave the second module of each pair to the first and prevent the high- and low-speed wires from ever being energized simultaneously. Bad things will happen to the fan if I ever accidentally let this occur, so it would have been nice to make it impossible in the wiring. But reviewing the manual again, SPST seems to be the accurate description

Comment

I don't have any of those modules. So I can't say how large they are or how many can fit inside an electrical box. I am sure others may have added information for you.
        Do you know how big the boxes are? I have seen some references to deep boxes being used for automation modules.
        SPST is accurate in the description.

Comment

Working...
        X