Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Microdimmer wired to an “always on” track

Hey all!

when we built our house we had the electrician wire the tracks so they are always on. Then I installed a series of Insteon bulbs (before they were discontinued!) so that I can control each light individually. This worked very well until I wanted to install a custom pendant light that can’t use an Insteon bulb. So: I hacked together a track pendant adapter and a small project box and I wired in a micro dimmer. And it worked great! Until I had to shorten the cord and when I reattached it it wasn’t working. I bought a new pendant adapter and now the dimmer turns on and off. But the load just stays on the whole time. Any idea what’s going on?? I’m literally typing this from on top of a ladder…

Edit: I’ve already performed a factory reset on the microdimmer

Comment

The load is an Incandescent or dimmable LED bulb?
      Does the LED show Green when On and Red when Off but the load always is On?
      If the LED on the module shows On and Off correctly and the load stays On. Good chance you damaged the triac used to control the loads brightness. Maybe a current surge when you powered it back up or there was a short on the load output.
      You may want to make sure the Sense wires are insulated and not touching anything if not used.

Comment

Thanks, BLH. The bulb is a dimmable LED, and was working fine earlier. (Well almost — it couldn’t dim below 50%) but given that the track pendant adapter seemed to have broken I wouldn’t be surprised if the microdimmer was damaged somehow as well. Is there anything I could do about a damaged triac short of replacing the unit?

Comment

You may want to wire it maybe to a electrical cord and a light . Just to see if a different setup gives similar results.
          No it is not easy to replace a triac. In a MicroModule.

Comment

Working...
          X